Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would you pay for a p-Series 660 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozusnik

Programmer
Feb 27, 2005
Hi all,
We recently replaced a p-Series 660 (6H1) with a 2-way 450 cpu, 1 GB ram, 9 GB mirrored internal drives, and 27 GB external RAID5 array.

Our best offer has been $1500 to a reseller. I paid $35k for this machine new 3 years ago. I'm extremely tempted to keep the damn thing and make another webserver out of it.

So, has anyone sold a similar machine and how much did you get for it.

Later,
Mark

I don't know if this will help. I personally don't know what would be considered reasonable for the server you mention, but because of budget constraints any server I've bought has been through eBay. I wouldn't doubt the reseller you're dealing with does at least some sales there, as I've found when doing cost comparisons that many distributors and wholesalers of refurbished IBM products now do, whether in auctions or eBay storefronts. I found two PSeries 660s there, 7026-6H1, one starting auction at $3500 (U.S.), the other selling at $3850:

IBM pSeries 660 7026-6H1:

IBM pSeries 660 7026-6H1:

After their markup it sounds like your reseller isn't too far away from what they would get from the market. It's unfortunate how quickly servers depreciate, but, like cars, it seems the nature of the business. A google for your server model should present a gauge of what's being offered out there. Hope this helps. Regards.

Thanks for your feedback. I had looked at other resellers before this, but I saw those machines selling for 8-9k. Hell, for $1500, I'll buy it from my place of work and run it at home. I know Linux is supported!!!

Thanks,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back