Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would you do if your boss is shafting MS? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpedintothefire

Technical User
Jan 24, 2006
CA
What action would you take if you found out that the software that you were told to install was not properly licensed? I'm not talking about just a couple of boxes, the whole enterprise.

Is this an issue you feel you can bring up with whoever is in charge of the licensing? You might want to bring up the fact that purchasing licenses is much cheaper than the fines it could bring about.

I would also first confirm my suspicions before reporting it anywhere, and have another job on standby if you turn your boss in after discussing the licensing.

You might take fredericofonseca's advice. But I recommend that you line up other employment first.

Whether or not you get your company back to the straight-and-narrow, your first priority must be keeping yourself clean. You do not want to install known unlicensed software, only to have someone else inform the BSA on both the company and you.

I'd go with Dollie's advice and speak with someone about the problem. It may be that your higher-ups are ignorant of the problem. It may be they know, but were unwilling to do something about it until they knew the information was getting out. It may be they are deliberately pirating software.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Thank you all for the feedback. This was a long standing issue, when ever I brought the subject up, my job became on the line with comments like "I can make your position part time", "I'll find someone who will", or "perhaps I'll contracting out your position, not sure if we would retain you as a contractor". I had some discussions with the president of the company and a couple of the shareholders, they all really didn't give a hoot. I finally stood up for myself and said "enough is enough, no more". I received a letter about having a negative attitude and not being a team player about a month later. The day after the letter I walked out. I waited over the weekend to see if there was a change in their mentality. Not having heard a thing from them over the weekend, I phoned caast(bsa in canada)myself. I did that to protect myself from my boss tring to say that I caused the licensing issues. Too bad for me, I really enjoyed the job. The bad part is, I'm still looking for work. The good part is my health much better, all the stress was relieved. Thanks for listening.

Kudos on standing by your convictions/principles! Hope things work out for you.

What dkediger said!

I hope things do work out for you, good luck in your job search.

If you get to hear, please update this thread with what eventually happens (if anything) to the company. I'd be interested to find out whether the bsa people really take these things seriously, or just pretend they do.

The BSA takes it seriously.

I work for a public school system. Twice over the last 5 years some disgruntled ex-employee has called the BSA and started telling tales about our lack of compliance to licensing

Both times we've been clean (we're very careful about licensing), but we've had to deal with the hassle of BSA audits.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Good for you.

Please keep us up to date.

Chip H.

Well, I don't know if caast takes it seriously, I'm waiting to read their name here:

Maybe caast did something, I noticed that my former boss's email headers changed from:
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
To: X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.6353
Perhaps they were forced to pay, maybe they paid extra to keep their name off the web. My ex-boss is arrogant enough to try messing around again.

I'd like to see charges under the Canadian Criminal Code which reads:

Threats and retaliation against employees
425.1 (1) No employer or person acting on behalf of an employer or in a position of authority in respect of an employee of the employer shall take a disciplinary measure against, demote, terminate or otherwise adversely affect the employment of such an employee, or threaten to do so,

(a) with the intent to compel the employee to abstain from providing information to a person whose duties include the enforcement of federal or provincial law, respecting an offence that the employee believes has been or is being committed contrary to this or any other federal or provincial Act or regulation by the employer or an officer or employee of the employer or, if the employer is a corporation, by one or more of its directors; or

(b) with the intent to retaliate against the employee because the employee has provided information referred to in paragraph (a) to a person whose duties include the enforcement of federal or provincial law.

Punishment
(2) Any one who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

I filed a complaint with the local police and their response was:
"Your situation does not fit into Section 425.1 of the Criminal Code"

Well, in my opinion, if my situation doesn't fit there never will be one that does.

Thanks for listening.

Maybe caast did something, I noticed that my former boss's email headers changed from:
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
To: X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.6353
Perhaps they were forced to pay, maybe they paid extra to keep their name off the web. My ex-boss is arrogant enough to try messing around again.

Or they found someone who would install unlicensed software...

2 installations or 1000, it is still wrong. I was one of those forced to install illegal software on to customer PC's, and was one of the reasons I left that job and came to my current job. I found out after I left that they are known in my community for doing that kind of thing.

----------------------------
"Will work for bandwidth" - Thinkgeek T-shirt

Oh, I reported my former boss, so no worries there.

----------------------------
"Will work for bandwidth" - Thinkgeek T-shirt

jumpedintothefire,

I second (or third or fourth....) dkediger's "Kudos on standing by your convictions/principles".

I know Microsoft itself takes this very seriously. I poked around their site a bit and found this link for info on reporting piracy in Canada:

And here is the page with actual instructions on how to report it. There is a phone number - so maybe you could get a feeling from the call center agent what might be done about this:

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

jumpedintothefire - I am sure you will find work, and the position will be a step up. You have a special quality, called honesty, that employers value. During your interview process, it may be difficult to explain, but state that you have a strong conviction and attempted to protect your previous employer... to no avail. Good luck and I am also curious if your previous employer did get fined. Unfortunate you have not mentioned the employer name to warn other potential employees...

Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Find some articles on people and companies who have been raided (or worse) by the BSA and/or Microsoft's Gestapo license police. Fax them to the company. E-mail them to your boss anonymously.

Just an update, I emailed caast:
-----quote-----
Dear Sir or Madam:

What criteria do you use to name a company in your news releases?( I'd like to think that I did the right thing when my former employer refused to pay the licensing fees and made my life unbearable at work for suggesting that it would be in all the companies' best interest to just comply. Over the course of time, I've had to endure the threat of "making my job part time", "I'll find someone who will", or "perhaps contracting out, not sure if we would retain you for that". Do you have any idea what it is like to walk into your church and feel ashamed of yourself? The stress was getting to me, when I finally stood up and said "enough is enough, no more", I received a letter about having a negative attitude and not being a team player, I quit and then informed you people. I'm the one who paid the price for having ethics, you just reaped the rewards. I'd feel somewhat vindicated in my actions if all could see that I was not the cause of the problem, upper management was, in refusing to comply. Did they pay you extra to keep their name off the web? Well, this has just about destroyed my life, feel free reply, I'd love to see what your reply is.

Thanks

zzzzz yyyyy

---------/quote-----

And the reply that I got:

------reply----------
Hello zzzzz:

To learn more about how CAAST and BSA enforcements are pursued, please feel free to call David Majors, Senior Enforcement Attorney at the Business Software Alliance (BSA). Please call the main CAAST hotline at 1-800-263-9700 and ask for Mr. Majors. He will be able to answer any questions you have about your case.

Kind regards,
aaaaaaa
-------/reply---------

I replied, asking for Mr Majors' email address, I have yet to see a reply with the address. From what I've seen, talk is cheap, and nobody wants to go on the record. Sh*t, I can't even get the police to investagate a legitimate criminal complaint, concerning the breach of the criminal code above. I'd LOVE to name my former employer, but out of fear of being sued, I'm not going to do that at this point.
Guess that old saying "it is not what you know, but who" fits here.

How long ago did you report your former employer to CAAST? I'm sure CAAST can't report a company's name unless there has been a conviction or some form of official response. Otherwise they are just slandering the names of the companies.

I'm sure it must take some time to contact the company, audit them (or request they audit themselves), take legal action if necessary, and come to a final resolution on the case. I would think that process would take many months, if not years if legal action is required.

So, go ahead and contact Mr. Majors (call the number given), but it might be a while before you see anything on their site about your former employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back