Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would you ask an SEO expert? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomKane

Programmer
Jul 24, 2001
AU
Hi everyone,

I have a question about hiring an SEO expert and would be grateful for any and all advice that you might have. I have a website project I've been working on for a while and I've got to the point where I need a bit of a hand to finish it.

I have found a web consultant who is a an expert in SEO and I am meeting with them this weekend if the meeting goes well I'm going to get the consultant to finish the site off and make it as search engine friendly as possible.

I'm wondering about what to ask, what are good questions to ask that might help to give me a comfort level that I'm picking the right person?

Apologies if my question seems a bit general but the SEO thing is not within my current skill set.

Thanks,
Tom

I may be more than a bit biased against SEO experts at the moment and in the light of recent dealings with the same, with good cause.

Here's my take on it - for what it is worth.
Creating a site which validates is important as is using best layout practice but there is no substitute for good website content.

Ask him for a list of websites which appear high up in search engine listings for well used terms and phrases.

Anyone can get to the top with little used phrases, I have several examples of where our site is top of most of the search engines but nobody would ever search for the terms we got there

Ask him how he became an expert.

I would suggest that you look for a local web designer with a decent portfolio of well ranked sites to finish your project, rather than an 'expert'.

Keith

Thank you for your advice. It is much appreciated.

You will find some of the most authoritative stuff here. It's also worth browsing through this forum, where you will find a good mix of informed comments.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

Excellent John - many thanks for your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back