Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would stop an AV program from scanning files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grez

Technical User
Dec 1, 2002
US
Hi! What exactly would stop an email program from scanning any particular files? Using Computer Associates EZ Trust AV. Thanks in advance!!

grez

uhh...an improper setting?

Did you verify that it's set to scan all files? What type of files are you talking about? What happened to make you think it wasn't scanning?

We need at least a paragraph of detail for these types of issues. Click the link in my signature below for help:

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg,

Did some more research. Did finally find it in the knowledge base. All settings are set fine, its not scanning running system files and certain cab files. They state that this sould be fine and not present a problem.

Any other thoughts on that? Thanks for your help!!

Not sure. Perhaps someone that has used this program could weigh in. However, you might want to try another AV application in the meantime. There are other free ones out there, along with low-cost solutions like Norton's AV or McAfee AV.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Which files is it not scanning? I know it will not scan open system files.

someone report me the same problem ( with norton ), ...

did the A-v crash ? or system crash or freeze or stop by itself ?

did you see the name of the file it is "waiting" on ? is this always the same file name ?

some file ( in mine system ) take several minutes , in directx ...

Do you have Zone Alarm 5? There are reports that version 5 is causing this kind of problem. Check the ZA discussion board.

Is your problem that your AV scanner can't clean or repair certain infected files? In XP, it won't be able to access System Restore files, so you have to disable System Restore to delete all Restore point info, scan and repair, then re-enable System Restore. The same applies to any spyware/adware etc when scanned with Ad-aware etc.

Andy

Hi to all,

Thanks for all the replies! It will not scan some system and CAB files. However, kiddpete may have hit it on the nose. I do have EZ Firewall which is basically the same exact deal as zone alarm. That could be it. No problems with deleting viruses, etc, just that it couldn't scan certain files all the time and was trying to find out why. I'll be checking the discussion boards.

Thanks to all! If I find out anything big, I'll repost.

grez

Back to cdogg's earlier question: How do you know it's not scanning those files? What happens if you manually scan just that/those files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back