Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would recommend??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2005
US
We currently have a WatchGuard Firebox II but need to upgrade it. Now I am in the position of searching for cost effective solutions (ie under $5,000.00 US) that gives good protection, high VPN throughput for about 20 simultaneous users, has gigabit capability, and has good tech support. I really have no experience with firewalls at all so I would like something that is easy to manage. Thanks.

watchguards are extremly easy to manage and give good performance. if I were you I would also look into the CIsco PIX line. they just released a new all in one box that combines firewall, VPN and IDS Cisco ASA 5500

I believe that Cisco has the best tech support in the business. if you purchase SMARTNET with your firewall their tech support will help you with everyhting from inital setup to troubleshooting they are extremly knopwledgable and there is not limit to the number of cases you can open in a year

from the watchguard line up the firebox X 700 would meet your needs although I dont think that any of watchguard's line has gigabit

coladmin, how difficult is it to learn the Cisco OS to set up the firewall?? Should I be a CCNA or something before I try this?? Also, what do you think of the SonicWall firewalls?? Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I believe that this new product has a web interface to set up. but if you are unfamilar with Cisco products all together then you may want to stay away espcially if you are familar with Watchguard Products.

I recently installed a Nokia SSL VPN( Secure Access System) solution that I have found to extremly easy to use and administer. Their hardware platform also supports Checkpoint firewall software. SSL VPN is an extremely usefull tool. this product also has a full VPN client that runs over SSL that works great and is much less overhead than the MUVPN watchguard product. I have found nokia's technical support to be great as well..

I have not used the sonicwall products. at all

Thanks again for the suggestion on the Nokia. I guess the good thing about all of this is that I'm not familiar with any firewall even though we currently have a WatchGuard so I can make a switch without problem (except learning how to use the product). thanks again.

WatchGuard does have a gigabit solution. They have expanded their Firebox X line with the x5000, x6000 and x8000 - all part of the "Peak" product line. The x6000 and x8000 have gigabit, the x5000 does not. All are the same box, just license keys to enable features. Maybe a litle above for price point - the x6000 is a over your $5k limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back