Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would prevent optical scanners from operating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
AU
I replaced the motherboard of a x32Win10ProV22H2 PC with one that had the same code specification, but now the optical scanner (which still works in another PC) will no longer work here; nor would several different other WORKING scanners. What they have in common is C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usbscan.sys.

Sebastian42 said:
will no longer work

Let's start by sharing the error message or the steps to reproduce the problem. Do other USB devices (other than scanners) work?

The USB port enables other devices. I have tried various (working) USB ports.

I freshly installed x32Win10ProV22H2 in a NEW SSD, and booted it in this PC where the scanner wont work. Once I installed the driver from the original software, the scanner worked in the fresh system. So although the problem started when the motherboard was replaced, the 'new' motherboard does NOT prevent the scanner from working; AND the original driver is still able to make the scanner work. What to make of that ?

Had you previously tried installing the driver from the original software?

I had not previously noticed an error message in Device Manager which mentioned a probable error in Registry and gave Code19. A google search led me to the correct key for Upper Filters that had to be deleted. Now the scanner works again.

Chiming in a bit late, but was the new motherboard the same revision number?

The motherboard that replaced the original, had the same 'code name' as the original, so PRESUMABLY the same specification.

Motherboards (and hardware in general) are released with "headline" model names (e.g. Asus H110M-K), however different releases of the same model will have slight variations - these are known as revisions e.g. a Asus H110M-K rev 1.0 motherboard is not exactly the same as a Asus H110M-K rev 1.1 motherboard.

This might explain the slight glitch, or maybe the fault is a coincidence!

'maybe the fault is a coincidence!'
In a freshly installed Win10, the scanner has NO problem with the replacement mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back