Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What would cause a computer to..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff18wife

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
What would cause my mouse and sound to stop working and my graphics to become really strange looking? Mouse works in SAFE mode though. Anxious to get this issue resolved.
Thanx. [ponder]

It sounds like it could be a driver problem.

Can you not start up in safe mode but instead start up in step-by-step mode to see if anything unusual is happening?

much luck

I have never tried starting up in step by step mode. I will definitely consider that suggestion. The computer also does not recognize my CD burner in safe mode. If I start up normal and try to open the CD program, it gives me some kind of memory message. :-(

When using safe mode, most of the device drivers are intentionally not involked.

These device drivers include those for CDC's, scanners, your monitor and many more.

"Safe Mode" is windows running at a "bare bones" level so problems can be dealt with easier.

much luck

I suggest that you check your video. The first thing I would do is boot in safe mode and delete all of your video drivers in the system properties (most people have only one driver). Then reboot normally and let Windows redetect your video drivers. I may ask for the disc/disk that came with your video card. If your video is onboard, you might need your motherboard CD. If this doesn't work, I might try another video card. <><

yea make sure u do 1 driver at a time it gets really confusing if u do alot at 1 time and I would try to get ur mouse fixed so u can go into windows and use ur mouse its alot easier to install drivers in windows

Hope that helped
Joshs328

Joshs328-
The computer is not fixed as yet.

dmorrison1 -
the computer came pre-loaded with everything so the only disk that I have that will do anything is the System Recovery disk. A friend has the same computer as mine and was advised by their tech support to do an Application Recovery before attempting a full recovery which I am really trying hard not to do if I don't have to.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Keep them coming, something is bound to work!

Did you add anything before this problem occurred? USB scanner or printer???? Modem? Ethernet card? It sounds like your IRQ's have been moved around and a device is not sharing IRQ's. What operating system are you using? I know this is a windows 95/98 thread but I have seen ME and 2000 in here too.

If you have added something, unconnect it and see if your machine boots right.

What kind of mouse do you have? USB, Serial or PS/2.

PS/2 is a small round connector with 6 pins
Serial is 9 pin (D shaped)a little smaller on one side than the other
USB is the flat connector ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

I have not added anything new recently, I already have a scanner, view cam, printer, that have been hooked up for months now. The mouse is a PS/2, the view cam is USB. Not sure about the scanner but they all worked fine prior to this.

I forgot to mention that prior to this happening the computer would freeze up alot so that I would have to close out and go back in.

I am running Windows 98, the computer was purchased 1/1/00. How do you fix IRQ's?

Thanks!

There is usually a version of Windows installed on your HD so you can reinstall it without using your restore disk. Do a file search on win98_22.cab, for example. That is just one of the cab files that should be located in the Windows98 folder. See if there is a Win98 folder on your HD. If so, look at the folder contents and you should see setup.exe. Double click that to start the Windows98 installation. You may want to save your current registry files first. Reinstall Win98, and then reinstall your saved registry. That way you will retain all your prior settings. This works nice, if a corrupted registry isn't the source of your problem. Use scanreg from dos to check your registry before you save it.

Rickmech-
Thank you for your response. Being a newbie at trying to resolve an issue as big as this, how do I save my current registry files? I am exploring every avenue in hopes of getting this fixed with out having to go to extremes.
[dazed]

Click Start
Click Run
Type REGEDIT
Click OK

Click registry
click export registry file

In the save in: entry area choose desktop or wherever you wish to save the file.

In the file name area type registry backup

Click save

To restore the registry it's the same as above except you choose import registry

Much Luck

mscallisto-
Thank you for responding. I will definitely do that.

Before working with the registry, have Win98 check the registry on its own...

You can do this in DOS in the Command folder, or you can run it within SAFE Mode...

- Click Start

- Select Run

- Type &quot;SCANREG /FIX&quot; then press enter

Windows will attempt to repair the Registry on its own...

If that doesn't work, you can try and restore a previous Registry where the system actually notates that a successful boot was detected. To do this, you would do the above, except Type &quot;SCANREG /RESTORE&quot;

Wish you the best, especially if you're new at this... :)

Roy aka BanditWk
Las Vegas, NV
roy@cccamerica.org
RLMBandit@aol.com (private)

BanditWk
Yes, I am new to problem solving such as this. I have printed out this thread and will take it home to give it a try.
Thanks for your response.

Ok, the SCANREG /FIX wouldn't work. It told me to run it in DOS mode. What is the best way to do that?

If you still are working on this problem and need to do the scanreg /fix, do the following:

Start
Shutdown
. Restart in ms-dos mode
OK
you should now be in DOS mode and probably see
C:\WINDOWS> this is where you type SCANREG /FIX then hit the enter key

when the job finishes (there is a progress bar) you will be back at C:\WINDOWS> this is where you type EXIT to return to windows.

Also

Re-reading the thread I noticed you asked How do you fix IRQ's?
If you still have the problem I can talk you thru checking and fixing IRQ errors.

much luck

I have most of my problems resolved. A friend came over and did the repairs. I now have a mouse once again and can access my cd burner & scanner. My only issue now is that I do not have sound. When I go into the control panel, it will not let me open up the Sound icon and the Multimedia icon. Any suggestions for this would be appreciated.

Do this and let me know the results:

Start
Settings
Control Panel
doubleclick System icon
click Device Manager tab
scroll down until you see your Sound device
click the + sign on your Sound device

Look for any yellow exclamation points, they
indicate a problem with drivers or conflicts
with interrupts.

If no exclamation sign's that's good.

Click on your sound board, you should be able to
identify it by name.

Click properties

see if you see the message &quot;this devive is
working properly&quot;

If not (thats bad) click the resourves tab
and see if there are any &quot;conflicts&quot; listed.

If yes tell me what they are.

Thats enough for now, I'll wait to hear from you

Muck luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back