Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What will Microsoft say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeriesCodePoet

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
Because of the constant instability of my laptop I am considering moving back to 2000 and put XP on my desktop. How much problem will I get from M$? Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

There shouldn't be any problems, as long as they are legite versions of XP and 2000 and you have valid CD keys for them.

Yes I do... esentailly I am just switching which license belongs to which computer. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

You should be fine then.

In theory, you have paid for 2 licences. 1 for Xp and 1 for 2000.

There aren't any restrictions on what hardware you can install the OS's

Because of the activation stuff, you might have a problem at first (MS will show you activated XP on two different computers)...my suggestion - call MS's help desk and let them know what you are doing. I believe they remove your initial activation of XP so that when you reactivate it on another computer it shows only one activation. I'm not positive this is how it works, but I suggest calling them (even though they can be a pain to deal with)

-Bill

Is their phone # listed in the manual somewhere? Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

If it is the professional edition of XP no activation is required

Depends on what version of XP Professional you are running as far as having to activate it.

UBankIT,

You are referring to the &quot;corporate&quot; version of XP Pro. This is the only version of XP that I know of that doesn't require activation. We'll just assume that you're talking about your &quot;work&quot; pc! <hint,hint> LOL

Mine is a retail, it did require the activation. Thanks for the help guys. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back