Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what will i lose before Clean boot WIn98

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISP
Dec 28, 2002
CA
i need to clean boot my Windows98 and optimize my computers resources before reinstalling my norton Firewall and Systemworks

what will i lose during this process
my favorite bookmarks?
will my IE6SP downgrade back to IE5?
will other applications installed be gone as well?

What do you mean by a clean boot? The term clean install or clean reinstall usually means wiping the hard drive (after backing up of course) and then installing a fresh copy of win98. If you do this, you will have to restore data, reinstall apps & patches to get back to your current software & data position. The link Phil gave you above will 'reset' some of windows settings, but is certainly not what I'd call 'clean'.

So, would like to know what you are trying to achieve/what problems you have which make you need a 'clean boot'.

symantec says i have corrupt files and need to manually un-ininstall NSW/NPF/NAV, then clean boot win98, then install drivers, then re-install & re-download NPF, optimize my computer resources, then re-install NSW

problem: nothing gets saved/downloaded to my desktop, but gets saved to somewhere else (i.e. i'll save a donwloaded file to my desktop but no icon appears, yet it will show on the 'save' menu screen, or it will show in my FInd File that the file is on the desktop, but i dont see it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back