Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What user accounts are required on win nt webserver? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

michko

Programmer
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hello all,
Does anyone know what user accounts are necessary for a webserver running on win nt? I don't know much about setting up a web server, so bear with me. One of our sites was hacked over the past weekend, they just replaced our page with some quote by Bob Marley. I've got our page back up, removed sharing permissions from the c: drive, and reset our login and admin passwords. When I checked on authorized user id's, I come up with 8 others (besides our admin login). The Guest account was already disabled. The ones I don't recognize are id's such as IUSR_WEBSERVER, LDAP_ANONYMOUS, qa-access, and others. I could just disable all the accounts, and see if the site still works, but would rather know which, if any, of these user id's are required and go from there.
thanks for any help

IUSR_WEBSERVER is required for anonymous access to web server resources. IWAM_WEBSERVER is used for SMTP access and webserver administration. Administrator and Guest are the only other accounts that normally show up. Any other accounts are locally created and are not necessary to run the web server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back