Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What type of throughput are you all getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauriceN

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
US
When backing up, I have varying degrees of thoughput and was wondering what you all are getting. We are using a 100MB lan and getting around 250MB per minute backup which seems slow. I am using Dell PV132T tape unit with LTO2 tapes.

you have a 100mb LAN. That is 12.5MB/s. Or 750MB/min.

That is theoretical. Scale it up to 45GB/hour.

You are actually getting 16GB/hr. That is way down in the LTO-1 range. The speed problems are generally caused by SCSI chain / SCSI driver or termination issues. What else is on the chain, what level is it and active or passive termination? Up to date drivers? Try windowsupdate and look for driver updates. If there is an enabled BIOS, check it is properly configured.

I think there are some routing issues involved as some of the backups are going 2-3x faster to other servers. I was just wondering what others with similar setups were getting.

It's the SCSI driver. I had slow throughput as well until I installed an older Adaptec driver. I now have network throughputs of 1900Mb/Min. with new Dell Powervault Servers and a Powervault 128T Tape library. The average is about 800-900Mb.

AEPrelude, I am very interested in your configuration. We have a similar setup. Which Adaptec card and driver are you using and what does your scsi configuration look like. This information would be very helpful. We are trying to back up our servers and NAS filers and are only recieving ~250 to 300 MB/min, with a maximum of around 600Mb/min. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back