Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What training classes are your taking next? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil209

Technical User
Sep 25, 2007
US
I have some training money that needs to be spent. We are currently a multi swicth (81 & 11) house, when finished merging to one cs1k. I have my "nortel" certs already but was wondering what courses people are taking next. Systems/session manager, Cs1K intergrations to Aura?

Thx
Phil

What Nortel Certs do you have? Anything 5.5 or older is pretty much worthless. Maybe an upgrade class and definitely System/Session Manager if you plan on going SIP.

I was thinking about doing the 7.5 class. My concern is that Avaya will start migrating everyone to the Aura and why do 7.5 at that point? I thought I heard 7.5 was that last update for the "Blue" side of the house. Fact or fiction?

i hear there is a 7.7 release available. I would do the System/Session Manager as this is what Aura will introduce.

John Anaya
Signet6 Network Sciences
ACSS/ACIS - CS1000 Rls 7.5/Call Pilot 5
ACSS/ACIS - SME - IP Office 8.0
APSS/APDS - Avaya UC Services

Public Profile

I really hate the direction this product is heading. It should be getting easier, but instead they have managed to complicate it more than ever. System/Session Manager would be a good choice, since the core blue product is pretty much unchanged.

you think this change is bad, take a look at IP Office. Perfectly good product. Flash card driven, easy to install and administer. Now a server based system and it's a nightmare.

John Anaya
Signet6 Network Sciences

Public Profile

I really cant believe how bad they have screwed up a perfectly good PBX. The Shoretel is looking better and better in my eyes. But I'm sure it has it's own little quirks too. I helped a guy install one, I was impressed by the interface and how easy it was to navigate and configure. It actually made sense. No BS like base patching, deploying and then service packing, what a joke that is. And then hoping and praying that it wasn't a cloudy day when you installed the Linux because when the sun does come out it wont work. Just kidding obviously, but it really is about that bad.

If you are looking to certify, Global Knowledge has a good boot camp that covers CS1k, Session manager and touches on system manager.

I was going to take it, but found the “Implementation and Upgrade” was more advantageous to my current role. Here are the boot camp labs, looks like some cool stuff.

Lab 1: Upgrade an existing CS 1000 Release 6.0 IP Peer Network to CS 1000 Release 7.5 integrating Aura
Lab 2: System and Aura Session Manager
Lab 3: Enable UCM services on the Avaya Aura System Manager
Lab 4: Migrate the UCM primary security server database to System Manager
Lab 5: Migrate the CS 1000 NRS database to the Avaya Aura Session Manager
Lab 6: Upload CS 1000 applications to the deployment server
Lab 7: Perform one-touch upgrades on CS 1000 6.0 Linux servers to 7.5
Lab 8: Load software on Linux-based servers using NFS
Lab 9: Enable and configure SIP Line Gateway and SIP clients
Lab 10: Deploy and provision IP Media Services

I took the Implementation Class, and like all good techs, it was after I had a decent understanding of the product. The problem is they didn't touch on patching at all. Didn't discuss the 3 linux patches or Service Updates. They didn't touch on SMG setups, or Branch office connections. Real quick and dirty. I think Avaya should gear the training around their certifications and make their teaching partners do the same. There is no incentive to cover everything, if you don't hwave to worry about people taking the test after the class.

John Anaya
Signet6 Network Sciences

Public Profile

O man, it’s a good thing I know how to load the Linux patches and the SP…that is a large part of any deployment.
Over all did you find the course good? I am going to attend in 2-weeks.

No doubt patching is a big part of it. The SMG stuff is pretty straight forward but Branch Office gets a little weird. System and Session Manager is a whole different beast. If you can get some exposure to that before your class it would be a good idea. Takes a long time to load those 2 servers, a full day if you know what your doing.. As always Avaya has managed to over complicate something that should in this day and age be pretty straight forward. I just did a 6.3 System/Session Manager install in conjunction with our 7.5 upgrade on a 1000M. It went pretty well but like I said, it should be getting easier, not more complicated. I guess that's the pains you go through when you are merging 2 different platforms.

You get to meet some interesting people and the books are nice, but overall I didn't learn anything I didn't already know. But I went to the classs in Vancouver so that was cool. It's not like it was back in the old days. You don't even get a certificate, at least not that I can remember, because they don't mean anything anymore. Without going to Prometric and taking the tests you're still in the same position.

My insructor was cool. He upgraded me to First Class from Vancouver to Dallas since we were on the same flight, and he was funnya as hell, but I think Avaya may tie their hands as far as the training.

Don't get me wrong. If you are onsite everyday take the class and take notes, but it wasn't much more than a couple days of going over the different platforms, then a couple days of loading software the Avaya way. I use a different method that works great for me, but it's not documented anywhere but here, in posts. You will have a better understanding of all the types of equipment and how it works together, but I miss the old 2 week I&M classes that pounded all types of problems at you and you had to fix them in the lab.

John Anaya
Signet6 Network Sciences

Public Profile

I remember my 21 thru 81 class in Richardson, 2 weeks. Man, I learned a lot in that class. Don't remember the Instructors name but he was retired GTE, great guy. It was a blast, and the waitresses at Bone Daddy's are second to none. Ahh yes, the good ole days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back