Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What tool do you use with MySQL??

Status
Not open for further replies.

johk02

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
AU
Hi,

I have allways used Access but thought it is time to start using MySQl and from what I understand I should have done the switchover earlier.
What I was wondering is what tool do you use to work with MySQL?? CFMyAdmin??
Any suggestions most welcome

Jonas

Well, phpMyAdmin has always been popular, and i know alot of the hosts i have worked with in the past have always had this pre-installed on thier systems as part of thier 'Admin Pannel' type interface.

I've recently started using a piece of software called 'DBTools', which isnt bad, it sits on your desktop and allows you to administer your database. It's major floow from my point of view is that its pretty slow, and takes a while to query your database.

Rob

I am a real newbie when it comes to My SQL so this might sound like silly question - but do I need a third party tool like DBTools, CFMyAdmiin etc???
Can't I set up a databse with tables with out them?

Jonas

Well,

You could setup MySQL tables without a 3rd Party tool, using queries and things through CF.

But to be honest its more hassle than its worth, all these tools are freeware and wont cost you anything to use.

Your best bet is to speak to your ISP, they will reccomend the system that most of thier customers use, they are all very simple GUI interfaces that will make life easy.

Rob

MySQL-Front is a pretty decent app for working remotely.

Any apps of this type will only work if the host does not block remote connections to MySQL though.

Hope this helps

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion 7/Windows Hosting

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

i have been using Navicat for a while now and it is IMO the best mysql tool i've used yet. not free, but worth the money, especially with the new support for mysql 5.

=========================================
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Navicat is great if you want to pay for it, really good.

There was one called mydbstudio that was ok, free, but sometimes biggy.

The mysqladmin / querybrowser just plain work everytime, but is dog slow.

Kevin

I have finally got MySQL 5.0 installed and I also installed DBTools which seems to be really good and not to hard to use.(thanks for the suggestion TamedTech)
The problem I have now is that the clients host only support MySQL 4.1. I found that out after I installed 5.0. JOY.
Can I still use MySQL 5.0 on my localhost but NOT use the features that are not available in 4.1 and then deploy the mysql database on the server?? Or do I have to downgrade my MySQL server on the localhost to 4.1??

Thanks
Jonas

Hmm, I'm not sure about the backwards compatibility of the MySQL Database, it would purely depend on the features you use.

If you are just creating basic table structures on your local host, importing data and then want to move that to your host then you shouldnt have any issues.

I personaly dont develope on an internal server i just work live on the Customers MySQL server usualy in a test database and then just import it onto the live one once we've tested it, that way i can always ensure it'll opperate the same.

You're welcome to the suggestion of the DBTools ... its not too bad i guess, and it'll do untill i decide to build my own software to do the job better lol ... i just find it painfully slow, but thats probably not the case if you're working in-house on your own test server.

Thanks,

Rob

i would not try to make a reverse compatible db, nor would i downgrade, you can easily put 2 instances of the mysql db server side-by-side. the manual shows how to do this.

=========================================
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Update:
I ended up installing MySQL 4.1 (and still keeping 5.0) but on an different port than 5.0.
Then in DBtools I could easily add another server connection.

jonas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back