Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to use when marking 66M blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMFW

Technical User
Jan 27, 2010
US
For many years the company I work for has used black extra-fine point Sharpies to mark 66M blocks. The markings on the older blocks on most of our MDF's and IDF's are fine - no fading. Anything marked in the last few years tends to slowly fade away. Does anyone know of a better product to use? Thanks!

Sharpies are still available and as durable as ever. You might want to contact Sanford to find out if their ink formula has changed over the years...

....JIM....

My Sharpie doesn't fade, but does tend to rub off from hand traffic after a while. Because my system only uses 24 of the 25 pairs for stuff I have been making little squares of dymo (plastic, laminated thermal strip from a pocket labeler) labels that fit over one pair space to do major designation of the blocks for the PBX - then I just use the sharpie to make dots and dashes for the rest. I make really small ones that go over one "foot" for the house pairs - I designate the top of the blocks and then every 25 pairs after, and then again just use the aharpie to make dots and dashes on the rest. The dymo labels stick really well if you clean the spot with alcohol first, and they don't rub off. I find this easier than getting writers cramp from continually re-writing those small little numbers on the blocks.

Just what I have started doing. YMMV :)

Older 66 blocks tend to be a little more porous and take the sharpie ink better. Newer ones smear more and fade faster due to the plastic being used. It also varies from manufacturer. That said, you can take some fabric athletic tape and run down the side, use an x-acto blade and open the wire splits. It also works well if you need to re-label the block.

Sharpie now makes a "Super Permanent Ink" pen. Look for item 13801. It has red markings on the label. I have a friend who turned me on to these. They are much better and don't fade in the first 6 months like the other ones do.

RMFW, sinner2 is correct about the Sharpie Industrial Super Permanent Ink marker (item # 13801). Years ago, I installed a large PBX and within 6 months the 66M blocks on the MDF had to be redone due to fading. Made a few calls and found out that Sanford had re-formulated their ink in the original black Sharpie and what I should be using from here on out was their new industrial version.

Just want to say thanks to all the good folks who took the time and effort to lend a helping hand. Got the info I was looking for plus some ideas worth checking out too. Thanks again to one and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back