Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHAT TO DO IN DISASTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawg2

Technical User
Mar 30, 2004
i HAVE AN OPTION 61C AND WE HAVE A COMPANY THAT IS AUDITING OUR DISASTER RECOVERY. I DO HAVE BACK UP LINES THAT I COULD SEND UP IF NEEDED BUT HOW WOULD I BE ABLE TO REROUTE THIS ANOTHER LOCATION IF NEEDED?
ANY IDEA AND THOUGHT PROCESSES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Some Telco's if not all offer some kind of disaster routing. I have a customer that has a Survivable Remote Gateway at a disaster site. There are all kinds of solutions. Depends on how deep your pockets are.

Our health system uses pots lines. Antiquated I know but it works.

Our telco provided POTS backup lines to our PRI. If the pri was unreachable or busy, any call to any DID would be routed to a bank of POTS lines. We also had the ability to do remote call forwarding to the main hunt number of those backup lines to forward to an offsite location if necessary.

Our incoming toll free numbers used verizon's enterprise routing. From a website i could swap routes and have any of them set to redirect to an predesignated route, a quick route or announce a message. Even in the event of a telco loss, i could route to vonage, roadrunner or some other telco.

Also kept a small key system in storage that could be quickly deployed to provide some phone functionality in the event of a major disaster.

The auditors always gave me a check-mark.

Who is your carrier. We are able to access our account online and direct our individual DID numbers to any number we wish. We have control of our RCFW feature.

Your carrier may have something like this.

Like a couple of people have mentioned, you need DRS (Disaster Routing Service), from your telco provider IF you want to have your calls sent to another site while your main site is either down or UN-reachable. (Handy to have for any failure from losing hardware/trunk groups all the way up to A Zombie invasion that leaves the entire site unavailable)

As far as you're equipment, I am guessing that you have a maintenance contract in place with a vendor? That contract would give you an idea about how long you might expect to be out of service if something goes down in the PBX.

Thank you to all that responded. I greatly appreciate all your feed back and ideas. I will talking to my provider this week about the forwarding features that I could do remotely if needed.
Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back