Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to Back up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimfun

Technical User
Feb 15, 2002
US
Hi , I have been doing brick level backups of our exchange but it is taking 56 hours with a throughput of 7Mb/sec .

I want to do backups of the IS but am not sure what else should be backed up too . Of the following options listed in Arcserve which are essential and which are not necessary ?
Local Disk (c;)
Exchange System(e:)(this holds the priv.edb and pub.edb files so is the same as the information store , right ?)
Exchange (m:)
Registry
Microsoft Information Store ( Ok , I know about this one !)
Microsoft Site Replication Service
System State

Thanks for any help

Do the C drive, system state, and registry on any machine you want to be able to restore. If you just want to be able to do a disaster recovery restore of exchange, you just need the information store. If you want to be able to restore individual users' mailboxes, you have to do the brick level also. Are you doing full backups every day? If you do incrementals most days, they don't take nearly as long.

Thanks for your response , I am now doing a daily Information store backup which is taking under an hour to back up 21 Gb and a weekly Brick level which takes 2 days+ !

The New Premium Exchange Agent is allegedly faster at doing brick level backups, and you can search on individual messages and restore the individual messages too.

Cool features but you will have to upgrade to arcserve version 11 though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back