Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what telnet program do you use

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoGuy79

Technical User
Dec 17, 2004
US
besides hyperterminal??

thanks
nathan

TeraTerm for telnet... F-Secure for SSH.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Teraterm is a great terminal emulator and great for configuring Cisco gear also . There is also a plugin for teraterm you can use so that it will work with SSH also .

Caution... the plugin for TTSH is for SSHv1 only (technically 1.5).. V1 SSH is not very secure and has known flaws. The best practices is to use SSHv2 wherever possible and since Cisco now supports SSHv2, the lifetime of TTSH is limited.
-------------------------
From Cisco:
The SSH Version 2 server is supported in Cisco IOS Release 12.3(4)T and 12.2(25)S; the SSH Version 2 client is supported beginning with Cisco IOS Release 12.3(7)T. (The SSH client runs both the SSH Version 1 and Version 2 protocol and is supported in both k8 and k9 images in Cisco IOS Release 12.3(4)T
--------------------------

Also, SSH is not just a telnet replacement, it's a suite of applications so you really want a client that is very flexible in it's configuration and use. Case in point is today I set up a Linux box to SSH to another box in a DMZ and the port forward an FTP session over the tunnel to a SSH-less (Windows) server. Poor man's VPN. If Windows natively supported SSH we could have use sftp or even scp but we had to do it the hardway [wink]

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

SecureCRT. I'll never go back! Never!

;-)

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Wybnormal brought up a good point. Why do people spend thousands of dollars for expensive VPNs when more cost effective solutions are potentially available?

If I need to secure a SMTP connection between two nodes, for example, why not just forward it via SSH (v2 of course)? The cost is practically nothing.

By the way, Im back guys =)

Glad to see you "back" .. at least in the virtual sense :)

I would toss out that management of VPNs is the overiding concern with support running a very close second. Not too many geeks are conversant enough with ssh to set up the poor man's VPN. But for the one off VPN on a budget, it works very well. I can not seeing a sales force of 100 users using ssh forwarding as a normal way of doing business [surprise]

I was just pointing out that there ALOT more to ssh then using it just to replace telnet and your client should reflect that.

MikeS

Find me at
Sun Tzu

HyperTerm for making config changes and Telnet for viewing configs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back