Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What takes precedence??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2005
US
I've got a 2003 system where a group created at the domain level is a member of a local group. For instance the domain group is XXX\Domain Users and has Modify, Read & Execute, Write, and List Folder Contents permissions. This XXX\Domain Users group is a member of SIAN\Users local group (Under local users and groups) and this group only has Read, List Folder Contents, Read & Execute permissions. Now, when I look at the security parameters on one of the directories it has both the XXX\Domain Users and the SIAN\Users groups listed. I actually have two questions 1) which one takes precedence?? and 2) why would you want to create a local user group as opposed to a domain user group at the server level?? thanks.

If the permissions are all allow, then the user in both groups should have the compound access of both.

If you put in a deny, that would take precedence over any allow from the other group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back