Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What tablespace is used? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

torturedmind

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
PH
Good day (or night) to all.

So here's the scenario:

User X defaults to tablespace TBS_A. There are other objects in tablespace TBS_B that user X are able to do stuffs with (update, insert, query, etc.). My question is - what tablespace is used when user X do say, an update on MyTable1 in TBS_B tablespace? Will user X still use TBS_A which is its default or use TBS_B because that's where the object is being accessed?

TIA

kilroy [knight]
philippines

"Once a king, always a king. But being a knight is more than enough."

Unless the query the user is doing requires a TEMP space usage, neither of the tablespaces mentioned above will be used by the user itself.

and yes I know this is not the answer you were expecting (although it is correct), but this does look like a homework question.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thank you for taking time to reply, good sir.

But no, this is not a homework question. Our company is using Oracle 10g with several schemas and users. These users can query on tables residing in various tablespaces. There is this one particular tablespace that grows unusually fast. Users query several tables in this tablepsace very often but the users are assigned with their own tablespace. Thus, my original question. And yes, they have also a separate temp space.

kilroy [knight]
philippines

It doesn't matter what tablespace a table is in, it only matters if you have been granted the rights to view the table.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Tables live in tablespaces. If you do something that requires more space, like an insert or an update, the space will be allocated within the table's tablespace. Simply querying a table won't make any demands on tablespaces, other than possibly a temp tablespace as pointed out above.

A user's default tablespace only comes into play if they create an object - a table, index, etc. - without explicitly specifying a tablespace. If they do that, the object gets created in their default tablespace.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Thank you, Bill and Chris, for taking the time to reply. And for an extra effort in explaining more, here's a star for you Chris. I appreciate it.

kilroy [knight]
philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back