Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What standard 802 11a, 11b, or 11g?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2001
US
I am looking to setup a wireless network but am trying to muddle through fact and FUD on the standards. The location that I want to setup in has a multiline wireless 2.4 ghz phone sys. So I am leaning to the 5ghz 11a. But I would like some ideas on range, what the future holds? What is being adopted?... and such? Like I have looked at netgear and their 11a has a farther range than their 11b. Now looking at Linksys their 11b has a farther range than 11a but they claim their 11g has better range than the other 2. which I understand to be adopted in europe and Linksys is the only one in the states selling it so far. Also what is the future of providing antennas in the 5 ghz range. I have noticed a plethora of 2.4 ghz antennas out there and connection for them on the 11b access points, but not on the 11a's.

Insight anyone?

Thanks.

Yes, there is a world of misinformation out there.

Let's start by breaking down the two different groups by catagory.

The 2.4 gHz frequency (ISM) is used by both the 802.11b and 802.11g equipment. The range these devices actually have can be mathematically predicted. For example, if there is nothing blocking the signal, an access point with the standard "rubber ducky" omni antennas can keep a usable signal with a notebook PCMCIA card (and no external antenna).

Now if you place objects in between the notebook and the access point, the distance diminishes. Metal will usually stop the signal dead as will water. Trees will kill your signal. Concrete will degrade the signal and if the concrete is reinforced with metal, it will kill the signal.

There great thing about RF is that it behaves pretty much in a predictable way. The output power minus the cable loss (if there is cable used) plus the antenna gain is the laws you abide by. The FCC also sets the output power at 1 watt plus 3db of antenna gain. There is a great page with all the calculations here:

However, if you have an area where there is a lot of 2.4 gHz noise (like telephones using the same frequency) both the 802.11b and the 802.11g standard are going to be ruled out.

As to Europe adopting 802.11g, please understand Europe has much different regulations than the US concerning power output levels and the amount of available channels (Europe has less).

On to the 802.11a standard. The range is roughly the sale as 802.11b and 802.11g (with the original antennas) but it is even less tolerant of obstacles. With good LOS, you should be able to use them. Most manufacturers do not make 5 gHz equipment with detachable antennas. Using the correct network design and placing access points exactly where they are needed should allow you to get what your looking for.

In my opinion the phones alone would make the your options fade. If they are 2.4ghz and are always being used, that would mean there will always be interferrence or at least a chance for some. Balance the two choices in frount of you and co-workers useing pro's and con's of keeping the phone system and going 5ghz or investing in a new system and sticking with the more easily aquired 2.4ghz network. just my opinion, that all. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back