Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What SSD drive types work on BCM? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
For UCx Digital Gateway, E-MetroTel uses the following 2GB SLC SATA flash module from Transcend:
These modules are available in sizes from 512MB to 8GB.

For BCM R1 to R6 images, you'd need 40GB SSD. The bad news is that the majority of current SSDs won't be recognized by the BCM mainboard. As far as I know, the 40GB Intel X25 SSD works fine, but nowadays it can be really hard to find. I assume large sizes of the Intel X25 (e.g., 80GB) should work, too.

Yes, one of those. The 90 pounds seem to be somewhat high. Some 20 months ago, they were available from NewEgg for around $95.

Good find. NCIX has one last piece in their B.C. warehouse - I wonder who will get it... :)

I see there are Intel X25-M and Intel X25-V series drives. Will both work with the BCM 50 or only M or V?

That's a good question. If I am not mistaken, the 40 GB capacity was released only in the X25-V family. That's the drive that I can confirm as functional on BCM50. I never had X25-M, so I couldn't say for sure. My "educated guess" is that there is a very decent probability that the X25-M family would also work (from the implementation perspective, these Intel SSD families appear to be very similar).

Looks like the X25-V was only available in 40Gb capacity, not 80 GB

I was really looking for an 80 GB drive as I did try to put a Rls 6.0 image with Acronis onto a 40GB drive and got an out of space message.

Was Rls 6.0 actually suppoted on a 40 GB drive? I know the original BCM 50's had 40Gb but later ones 80 GB

From what I can find - only the X25-M is available in 80 GB or greater. I found one on eBay for a good price so will try it out and report back here.

I can confirm an Intel X25-M SSD drive also works in a BCM 50. I have tested one of these on a Rls 3 and a Rls 6 system. The part number of the drive tested is: SSDSA2M080G2GC

Also confirmed a G1 version of the drive with work in a BCM 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back