Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What speed/performance should I expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISCOROB

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2001
CA
I have x4 hp/compaq MSL 5026 SDLT110/220 tape libraries connected together via a their elevator mechanism

... they connect back to a FC switch using Compaq MDR model 163083-B21 (FC to SCSI Bridge)

Servers on the SAN connect to this library via FC HBAs using Commvault Galaxy

... specs for these libraries state max speed in the neighbourhood of 79.2gig/hour

we are getting average of 8gig/hour for a approx 300gig backup ...

are there problems here or is this speed normal???

If there are problems where ?? I am guessing the MDR ??

Any help would be apprec

R.

That would be a very slow CommVault/SAN backup speed. We backup a lot of our servers over our LAN via CommVault, and we can get speeds of 20GB/hr for file systems, 25GB/hr for ExchangeDBs and 30+GB/hr for SQL databases. SAN backups can be faster than that. You should place a call to CommVault support, and send them your backup logs. They should be able to tell you where the bottelneck is. We had a lot of problems with the FC bridges in our library, initially, related to firmware levels, etc., so that is a possibility, but there are a lot of variables to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back