Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What speed is my drive??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy7386

Technical User
Feb 17, 2006
GB
i own a western digital wd1600 hard drive which supports ata 100. Now when i plug it in to my ata 100 qdi p41865pe pro motherboard via the proper 80 pin cable i can only reach speeds of 60mb/s when transferring files? I have gone into device manager and ultra dma mode 5 is enabled and there is no other drives connected to the cable? When i did a burst speed test it was 91mb/s but a constant flow of 50mb/s. I also tried it with a maxtor drive which was ata 133 but no different?
yours
jim

jimmy7386
These are perfectly good results and seem about right.

ATA100
ATA133
SATA150
SATA II 300

These are all connection speeds or buses and not the actual speed of the drive, just the amount of data that particular connection can handle.

See this review on three of the very latest SATA II drives. note* sustain speeds in the low 60's MB/sec, even though they are connected to a theoretical 300MB/sec bus

"Just because your speedo on your car says 200mph doesn't mean it will GO that fast" analogy.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

The speeds are perfectly ok and appear to be a bit on the high side. They work better then perfect.
Regards

Jurgen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back