Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What should we use for a front end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaT

Programmer
May 16, 2002
US
Here's my problem. We use Access 2000, for both front and back end. We are looking to move on to SQL Server and we have no idea what to use for a front end. We thought we'd stick with Access, but I don't want to limit what we can do with sql server by doing that. We took some courses in SQL Server 7.0 a few years ago, but haven't figured out how to link Access as a front end. We can link it, just can't figure out how to do the query prompts like we do in Access now. Plus, someone said that within the next 2 versions of office, access will go away. I did take a classes in Visual Basic and Visual C++, so I keep looking at the Visual Studio, but I really don't understand the whole .Net thing. Is it to design apps just for the Web? Because we won't be doing that anytime soon. We will probably be sticking to desktop apps for quite a while. We looked a PowerBuilder too, but I just don't know. Can anyone help me or even suggest where to begin to get enough info to make some sort of informed decision.

Thank you.

Melissa
Designing Access databases since 1999

If you are not designing applications for web, i would suggest you to stick to Access Front end and move your back end to the SQL Server. Of course using .Net you can create the similar front end, but i guess you are pretty familiar and good with MS Access.

Also here is an helpful article that might help you.

-DNG

These things all take time to learn, building GUIs using Visual Basic, Visual C++, or web based GUIs using .NET. You would be learning new programming languages and how to build GUIs, a tall order. With PowerBuilder or VisualStudio you would be learning new complex tools to do things you already know how to do with Access.

It might be easier to figure out how to get query prompts in Access when the database is in SQL Server. Maybe design a couple of forms instead of using the prompts for query parameters ( I am guessing that is what you refer to. I am not an Access user or developer, just tinker with it now and then. )

As to Access disappearing. Well one never knows what Microsoft may do to us, I mean for us. But you will still have your copy of Access.

Maybe move the database now. Then consider alternative front-ends. One thing at a time.

Use Access to link the tables once they are built in SQL Server. Also you can possibly use the upsizing too in Access to create the database, although I would caregfully check it afterwards because it does not always choose the best datatypes for the conversion.

Accessing the data is the same if you use Access queries and an mdb file. You will want to move these eventually to stored procedures to improve efficiency, but take it slow and only do the slowest ones at first.

If you use Access projects, you can write the stored procedures right in Access and use them as the basis for your forms and reports. But projects don't as far as I know have Access queries avalaible, so you will have to rewrite everything.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back