Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What should my hub lights look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteadySystems

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2003
US

Linksys Sr-224

I have about 23 connections being used and all the lights blink at the same time, in a pulse manner. There are a few others that blink at a faster rate than the rest.

What should my hub lights look like if everything is normal?

SteadySystems,

You can download the user guide here -

Here is what it says about the lights -

System (Green) This LED lights up and remains lit when the Switch is powered on.

1-16 or 1-24 (Green) Each LED lights up when a connection is made through its corresponding port. It flashes when the corresponding port has traffic.
---------------------------------------------

Are the 23 computers connected to it able to network? You should see some flashing based on traffic, but you should not see them ALL flashing in unison from my past experience with Linksys and Netgear!!

How "old" is this hub, from past experience with Linksys and other "low end" home/soho networking devices, when they "go" they are not worth spending much time on!!

Are these computers very active on the network? If so, you would be better off with a switch! If you are dealing with a lot of network traffic from these 23 users you might look at a Cisco or HP switch. You can pickup a Cisco 2950 switch (which is a very good switch) for about $130 on Ebay.

Just some thoughts, hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Yes they all work. We have a 4 port switch (just to allow overflow of additional panel drops) and a Router for the DSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back