Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What S/W installer to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcacc

Technical User
Mar 6, 2007
US
Upgrading this old Rel. 8 to latest and greatest MCD 6. So I'm going from R8 to MCD 4, do the Migration Checklist, then going to MCD 6. I've heard differing views on whether to use the MCD 4 SI tool from R8 to MCD 4 then use the latest SI tool for the MCD 4 to MCD 6 upgrade as opposed to just using the latest SI tool to do both upgrades. What's best as far as you're concerned ? thanks

I've never used anything but the latest and I've never had issues.

done betwen 50<>100

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

i just did that same migration and used the newest version with no issues

Thanks fellas, latest it is. One more thing, reading the release notes for MCD4 it states that a new options password is required, did you find that to be true? Thanks again

Yes definitely, you will always require a new passcode when upgrading

You must have software assurance active - No Options

If you are replacing hardware, there are migration paths that need to be followed.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

What controller chassis are you on? Might want to take a peek at System Hardware Compute Cards and make sure slot 1 has 512MB of RAM otherwise you'll need to upgrade the controller before you can take the software up to MCD4 and higher.

It's a CXi with 256MB but I upgraded it to 512 before I did the upgrades which went very smooth by the way. Used the latest S/W Installer with no problems whatsoever. Thanks guys. Only thing, and I plan on looking this up, is that all the phones had the Open Voicemail App (Visual Voicemail?) checked under Settings --> Message Key Config after pressing the blue applications button. Not sure which upgrade caused this but it was this way when I did some testing after MCD6 was loaded. Had to go around to phones and uncheck it.

I always use the version of software installer that comes with the version of software you are installing .
Seems to work well .

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Echo Billz66 in that I always use the software installer that comes with the load. Just in case.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Anyone else and you need to throw it harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back