Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What router to upgrade to? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar36

Programmer
Feb 9, 2003
US
I have been asked to upgrade our server & router. I have a 1.2 GHz CPU with 512 Meg RAM running Raid 1 and a cisco Mc3800 router. I have 234 users in a small k-12 school connecting to the internet. I am looking at a Proliant ML330 2.8 GHz with 1 Gig RAM running raid 1. I do not know what to do about the router. Do I need to upgrade? I have no experience with routers. Your inputs are appreciated.

This router is designed to be an intergral part of a VoIP solution. It looks to be a repackaging of the Cisco 2500 series with the additional ports to connect to a phone switch. I have not checked but I would be more worried about an EOL on it then performance. The 2500 series could carry up to 4000 users for just web access. But most 2500s if not all are end of lifed now. The replacement is normally a 2600 series but for a small group like yours a 1751 would be fine.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

I agree with Mike...

Plus, it really depends upon what capabilities of the mc3800 are really being employed in its current application. Is it just a t1 link to the internet and ethernet back to the LAN, or are voice capabilities actually being used.

Thanks for the input guys. The only reason for the voice is so that our region 7 tech support can talk to home base for support. I have a phone in the server room now so I can do without the voice. Really big help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back