Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What roles to set up my 2 new servers with 25 users

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeusdice

Technical User
Jul 2, 2008
ZA
Good Day All

I just got 2 new servers "hp proliant ml150 g5" with windows 2008 server.

I am not sure what roles to set up the server's with and hence need advice.

At out place we have about 25 Users (7 desktops with Xp and 18 Lap tops (3 with Vista business and the rest with Xp).

We only have a pop3 mail servers which resides at another company that provides us with the pop3 mail accounts. ( My internet provider does not supply us with a SMTP gate way as this is a extra cost) But we use the same pop3 address for our smtp which works fine.

We do not have any servers at the moment so this servers will be the first. All workstation are connected to a switch and through 2 Cisco routers. ( 1 512 adsl line for our vpn to a outside source and web traffic the other router is a 128k digi net line for pop3 and smtp) Thre adsl router does have a access list to restrict certain Ip address from different ports.

Our main issues is that we do not have a back up system for all our information e.g.. mail, excel,doc, and pics.

Please advise on what roles I should set up on the two servers I have.

I have thought of making the one a domain controller and the other a back up server. But then I sit with the problem with the lap tops as every ones takes there lap top home and if we were on a domain they would not have any information on the laptops as he information resides on the domain

Please advise

And Thank You in advance

I would post this in the Windows Server 2008 forum as this is OS related rather than hardware related

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back