Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What protection to use for a firewall and virus protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckaspar

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
I have four facilities in my company and am getting ADSL installed at all four of them. Each facility has approx. 4 computers that will all be connecting to the DSL using an 8-Port Linksys Router w/ switch.

I am wondering what the best way to protect each facility is so that we will limit the chances of intrusion.

I would also like to have VPN Capabilities in the future if possible.

Any help you can provide would be great!

Thanks in advance.

i personally prefer mcafee over norton, if you were looking for a choice.

you could try this for your vpn:
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
- Jeff Raskin [morning]

Greetings Ckaspar,

I have heard good things about the Sonicwall routers in regards to both protection and firewall, they might be worth looking into, IF you are willing to part with your Linksys boxes.

As far as VPN is concerned, VNC is my choice as well; for remote computing/access. It all depends what you want to accomplish with your VPN. Do you want documents at one location to print at another? There are many different typs and apllications for VPN, with appropriate hardware for each application.

As far as protection, in the less expensive category of options, you may also like to consider converting an "average" computer into a Linux firewall, some of our customers have done this with very impressive results - just be careful: There are many self-proclaimed`"Linux Gurus" out there who end up giving Linux a bad name; make sure you get solid references if you go this route!

Best of luck,

Bdahl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back