Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What processor can i put in it ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregoire

Technical User
Dec 31, 2001
CA
I got an APTIVA E2V computer, and he is running at 333 Mhz, i want to know if I can put a 950 Mhz processor in it with the right fan and all the rest...

Because with WinXP 333Mhz is not so fast :)

You need to visit the manufactures website with the system details to find out you upgrade potential.
But I don't hold out too much hope for such a big leap! you maybe lucky and have an option to 533 or so, at least this will get you into XP territory.
You will also need a minimun 128mb ram or more for XP to run properly. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

I hate to have to burst your bubble becasue there is no way that a mother board that supports a 333 can go up to a 933. The sockets that are used by the celeron 333 are socket 7 i believe and in you wanted to go to a AMD 933 (way better than pentium) you either need to get a slot A(athalon) or a socket A (Athlon Thunderbird) I have a 900 mhz t-bird and it only cost me about $150 to upgrade to that from a K6-2 400 mhz. One other thing that you need to consider is that when you upgrade mother boards you need to upgrade RAM most of the time to recieve the maximum performance from your PC. Some times old RAM wont een work in the new board it all depends on the manufactureer. The highest that you system can hold right now is around 500 mhx 533 if you lucky. Prices are dropping fast so if you want to upgrade now is the right time.

Okay foirst of all I already have upgraded my ram, i have 192 mb now, I was just scared about changing my mobo cauz it's an aptiva you know... so i was not so sure that we can change it with no problems...

I'm waiting for more information .)

greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back