Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What procedures needed if I change Motherboard and CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick99

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
HK
Currently I have a computer. Then I get a new set of motherboard, CPU, Display Card, RAM, Sound Card, LAN card, but NO Harddisk. The motherboard model is exactly the same as my current one. The CPU is 933 while mine is 800. Others are all different.

Now I want to install my harddisk into the newer set. Does my WinXP can recognize the hardware automatically and no need to do anything so as to startup computer normally? Or I need to do some procedures?

Thanks in advance.

Is it possible for the following procedures?

1. Allocate a blank partition in my current harddisk.
2. Install the harddisk into the new set.
3. Use XP CD to boot the system and install XP in the blank partition.
4. Copy my useful things from the other partitions to the newly installed XP partition.
5. Format the old partitions for further use.

Thanks in advance.

The only real critical thing to doing what you're asking is to be careful about the ide controller.

You say you are replacing with the same motherboard model, then you will be absolutely fine hooking up the harddrive to the new hardware.

If you were getting a different model motherboard that has a different ide controller, you would have to remove all ide drivers while running on the old hardware before switching, then you would be fine, Windows takes care of the rest.

And of course, you will have to reactivate Windows when hooking up the new equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back