Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What PRI protocols do I specify to new 800 provider? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeMonkey

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2007
US
I have a Nortel Meridian I option 11C switch. We recently switched providers and we are having trouble with incoming 800 calls. The new provider asked what our PRI protocols were so I asked Level(3). I was informed that we were NI1 or NI2 and 4 digits. 5e standard. Obviously we can't be NI1 and NI2... right? When we cut over our switch did not immediately accept the incoming calls. Then we discussed the possible options. The provider changed the setting from NI2 to NI1 and things improved. We thought all was OK. That was on Sept 25, 2008. On the 10th of October we realized that some 800 calls were failing with CAUSE#31 NORMAL UNSPECIFIED. We have since omitted the caller ID on all calls and it seems to have made things better but some 800 calls are still failing.

My question is what other specifications would be involved in getting the new provider hooked up? Remember it's only the forwarded 800 calls that are failing. The provider D&E Communications receives the 800 calls from a third party. They claim they can change settings before they send us the call. Which settings are they manipulating for only the forwarded 800 calls and where do I look in my switch to see what settings we have? Do they have the ability to control only the 800 calls. With Level(3) we received caller ID on our normal calls but didn't see the calling number for 800 calls. Can my provider be specific in controlling this and can this setting cause the calls to fail?

I have been weighing rebooting the switch which wasn't done after cut-over. I hesitate fearing a worse situation if everything doesn't come back up.

Thanks for your comments.

you cant be NI1 and NI2 at the same time, if you are also 5E, then you are custom, or NI1. How are the 800 #'s being directed into your PBX?

So if I want to tell the provider what my current protocols are which ld would I load and which parameters would I need to check. I believe I am currently NI1 4digits and 5E only because our previous provier told me that.

Could the 800 company be sending the calls to my provider with some defect or protocol error that they can't compensate for?

If I want to change to NI2 ESF/B8Zs and CPE which ld would I use? Is this in the customer data block?

TNPHONEMAN, This provider, D&E Communications, is sending calls to our main number, 49 DID numbers and they are sending calls that come in on our 800 line from a third party. All the calls seem to complete except some of the 800 calls which are forwarded to one of the DID lines which appears on the switchboard. Does the provider have the ability to control these different types of calls so that everything connects except a few of the 800 calls? What makes the 800 calls different? Do they contain more protocol settings? What can cause the problem preventing some calls to fail?

I don't see how "protocol settings" could be the problem. Calls come in, so it works.

What do callers hear when they fail to reach you?

I am guessing the new carrier simply has some of the DNIS numbers hosed. Find out what DNIS every toll free number is supposed to dial and see if it matches your dialing plan.

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you are changing the 800 number to another provider and still having it ring in on one of the DID numbers all they need to know is what number to point it at.

It almost sounds to me like it is a forwarding path problem. Say you have 3 calls come in but you only purchased 2 paths well the 3rd caller will not get through. See if there is some sort of restriction like this on the 800 number providers end. Also you will only get the number of calls on the local pri as you have channels for.

Signature===========================================

This thread is a continuation of my last thread

All calls are coming from D&E Communications. All calls appear to be connecting through our switch except SOME of the calls which are from the third party 800 company. We know they are 800 calls because we have them going to a specific DID so they will appear on the switchboard on the 800 loop key.

I had D&E change the DID to a regular extension. No Luck. I tried stripping the caller ID and this improved the chances of a successful connection.

I am trying to guarantee its not our end and if possible provide all the protocol info to the tech at D&E so they are sending the calls in the right format.

I am going to power down the switch later today and maybe this will reset something that is not working.

Thanks for your comments.

OK I powered down at 5pm today. I had to reset the time and date and enable the alarm for Meridian Mail. All is back up and I will provide the printout of the protocols. I'm typing this in by hand so it won't look exactly as it would on a terminal.

LD 21
REQ: PRT
TYPE: RDB
CUST 0
TOUT
ACOD

TYPE RDB
CUST 00
ROUT 0
DES 8481111
TKTP DID
SAT NO
RCLS EXT
DTRK YES
DGTP PRI
ISDN YES

MODE PRA
IFC NI2
CBCR NO
SBN NO
NCNA YES
NCRD YES
CHTY BCH
CPFXS YES
BCOT 0
INTC NO

DSEL VCE
PTYP PRI
AUTO NO
DNIS NO
ICOG IAO
RANX NO
SRCH LIN
TRMB YES
STEP
ACOD 7100
TCPP NO
PII NO
TARG 01
CLEN 1
BILN NO
OABS
INST
ICIS YES
TIMR ICF 512

OGF 512
EOD 13952
NRD 10112
DDL 70
ODT 4096
RGV 640
FLH 510
GRD 896
SFB 3
NBS 2048
NBL 4096
TFD 0

DRNG YES
CDR YES
INC YES
LAST NO
QREC NO
OAL YES
AIA NO
OAN YES
OPD NO
NATL YES
MUS YES
MRT 30

PAGE 002

MR NO
EQAR NO
PLEV 2
MCTS NO
ALRM NO
ART 0
SGRP 0
AACR NO

TYPE RDB
CUS 00
ROUT 3
DES COT
TKTP COT
PRIV NO
SAT NO
RCLS EXT
DTRK NO
ISDN NO
PTYP ACO
AUTO NO
ICOG IAO
RAN X NO
SRCH RRB
TRMB YES
STEP
ACOD 7103
CPP NO
TARG 01
CLEN 1
BILN NO
OABS
TIMR ICF 512
OGF 512
EOD 13952
DSI 34944
NRD 10112
DDL 70
ODT 4096
RGV 640
FLH 510
GRD 896
SFB 3
CRD 512
TFD 0
LEXT 100

SST 3 0
NEDC ETH
FEDC ETH
CPDC NO
SPCT IMM
HOLD 02 02 40
SEIZ 02 02
RGFL 02 02
RVSD 08 31
ILLR 02 02
DRNG YES
CDR YES
INC YES
LAST NO
QREC NO
OAL YES
AIA NO

PAGE 003

OAN YES
OPD NO
NATL YES
MUS YES
MTR 30
MR NO
MANO NO
EQAR NO
OHTD NO
PLEV 2
MCTS NO
ALRM NO
ART 0
SGRP 0
AACR NO

TYPE RDB
CUST 00
ROUT 4
DES RAN
TKTP RAN
RTYP AUD
GRD IDLE
REP 1
POST DIS
STRT DDL
ASUP YES
ACOD 7104
TARG 01
CDR NO
MUS NO
OHTD NO
ALRM NO
SGRP 0
AACR NO

TYPE RDB
CUST 0
ROUT 30
DES MUSIC
TKTP MUS
ICOG OGT
SRCH LIN
STEP
ACOD 7130
TARG 01
CLEN 1
OABS
TIMR ICF 512

OGF 512
EOD 13952
DSI 34944
NRD 10112
DDL 70
ODT 4096
RGV 640
GRD 896
SFB 3
TFD 0

SST 5 0
NEDC ETH
FEDC ORG
HOLD 02 02 40
SEIZ 02 02

PAGE 004

RGFL 02 02
CDR NO
MUS NO
OHTD NO
ALRM NO
SGRP 0
AACR NO

REQ:****

LD 22
REQ PRT
TYPE CEQU

CEQU

MPED 8D
TERM
REMO
TERD 012
REMD
TERQ 013
REMQ
SUPL 004
XCT 000
TDS * 000
CONF * 001 002
MFSD * 000

DLOP NUM DCH FRM LCMT YALM TRSH
PRI 010 24 ESF B8S FDL 00
011 24 ESF B8S FDL 00
EXTO 3PE
CNI 012 000 000
MCFN S0B0 S0B1 S1B0 S1B1 S2B0 S2B1 S3B0 S3B1 FLSH TOTL
016 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 32 048

REQ PRT
TYPE ADAN DCH

ADAN DCH 0
CTYP MSDL
DNUM 11
PORT 0
DES GTEISDN
USR PRI
DCHL 10
OTBF 32
PARM RS422 DTE
DRAT 64KC
CLOK EXT
IFC NI2
ISDN_MCNT 300
CLID OPTO
CO_TYPE STD
SIDE USR
CNEG 1
RLS ID **
RCAP ND2 COLP
T310 120
T200 3
T203 10
N200 3
N201 260
K 7

OK so this is what I got. It looks to me that I am NI2 but at cutover NI2 didn't work so they changed to NI1 and it worked. Where in this mess does it say how many digits I am expecting?

There is no setting for length. You just tell the carrier what DNs each toll free number should terminate on and they program that into their routing system. Then when someone calls the Toll Free number, it rings where you told them.

It's not protocol any more if the span works. Nothing changes per call. I believe you are over complicating this.

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

Thanks GHTROUT,
I was just trying to get enough knowledge so that on Monday I can say to the tech at D&E this is what I am expecting as far as NI1 or 2 and so on. Maybe the reboot will get everything functioning correctly. I have the printer running the ld 96 MSGI 0 and MSGO 0 and I will see if the 800 calls are completing. Am i correct from the printout I should be getting NI2? So why didn't it work?

Actually, I don't think in any of your posts you told us what the caller was hearing.

However, here is an idea that will resolve any erroneous numbers the carrier may have. It should work because it appears the toll free numbers are coming in a trunk route that is classified as DID - that's good.

In the Customer Data Block's INT_DATA section, there is a line like this:

CTVN OVF OVF OVF ATN

Look at yours (LD21: REQ prt TYPE int)

If you have ATN where I do, then 800 calls that come into DNs that don't exist, will go to the console.

I would make sure I knew this setting if I had the problem you are.

~~~

GHTROUT, I did describe what some of the callers are hearing in my previous thread. Some just hear ringing, some hear "Your call did not go thru... try your call again 075p" or "All circuits are busy please try later... announcement 8 switch 96-27" But the point is the call is getting to the switch but it won't complete.

GHTROUT,
Let me explain the situation. We recently switched our provider. Level(3) had provided our PRI including our 800 service. Qwest was providing long distance. On Sept 25, 2008 we cutover to D&E Communications. They are currently providing one PRI for all services. Level(3) was coming in on fiber and now we are using Verizon copper to a smart jack. On Oct 10,2008 we started to hear from people who could not get through to our 800 number. However they had no trouble calling our main number or directly to the DID dedicated to the incoming 800 calls. SOME folks with Verizon cells were getting the switch 96-27 message. In fact our new GM who has an out of town Verizon (540 area code) cell phone could consistantly get that message. But the reason I believe the calls are getting to the switch is that when he called the switchboard would flash his caller ID and when I run the LD 96 ENL MSGI 0 I would see his number printed as I mentioned in my previous thread. It just seemed to be incompatible with our setup somewhere. On Friday I told D&E to stop sending caller ID and now the GMs Verizon cell can get through after flashing once or twice on the switchboard. The 800 calls are coming from a 'third party' company to D&E and then forwared by D&E to a specific DID number. The fact that the DID is specified in the call data I can tell which calls are failing. It's ONLY 800 CALLS which are failing! We did try changing the DID that the calls were sent to and it didn't change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back