Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what ports rcp uses exctly!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadel

Technical User
Aug 17, 2003
AE
I need to know what ports rcp exactly uses coz I am facing problem with a router access list that would only permit explicity defined traffic & would deny else? I tried 512, 513 & 514 all together.

Appreciate a quick answer.

run the command rpcinfo to view what ports are currently in use for RPC

I did rpcinfo, Which part of the output would tell me the ports used?

This would depend on the app you are using. For me, NFS ports out to 2049.

The information I am looking for is the port number?

This thread is somewhat old, but there seems to be some confusion so I figured I would try and help. I'm not sure if you are talking about rcp (remote copy) or RPC (remote procedure call). So I’ll try and help out with both.

I am fairly certain that rcp uses TCP port 514, so allowing TCP/514 through your ACL should work. You should look to use SSH instead, which uses 22 and is much more secure.

RPC uses UDP & TCP ports 111, but RPC has issues with ACLs. the RPC portmapper lives on port 111, but RPC applications can live on dynamic ports that they register with the portmapper once they start. If you try and reach an RCP program you contact the portmapper (port 111) and ask it what port the program is listening on. The portmapper tells you what port and you make a connection to that port. This is an issue for ACLs since the RPC programs port number is usually random within a range. You can try and figure out the range of the port numbers and allow that range though your ACL, but it's not desirable.

Hope that helps

Joe

---------------------------------------
Joe Keegan - Joe@jjk3.com
SANS GSEC & GCFW
CCSE, CCNA, CCSA & Sun Certified

Well, 514 didn't do the trick. It starts with 1024 all right but then it randomly assigns some port beyond 1024 for the copy itself. I had to open all ports beyond 1024 till I find another sollution. Appreciate ur help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back