Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what pc clients would you recommend with sendmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpn

Technical User
May 31, 2001
GB
okay, I've got my Unix (SCO) system configured with sendmail and my pc's come with Outlook and/or Windows Messaging. I can configure these to use Internet mail and connect with pop3/SMTP to my Unix system and it works! But is this the best way to do it?

What do other people use at the client end when using windows pc's? Do these clients give you a central address book for internal addresses? (I also add in microsoft mail as well for the central post-office facility).

Why do I ask, well my remote pc's poll the unix server too frequently regardless of how I configure them to and I have to setup two services on each pc. They are also resource hungry.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Hi there,

I do much as you do and i find it works o.k. I also have smptd, and fetchmail running - i based this on a much more advanced unix box configuration, and from what i can tell, this seems to be the 'standard' way of running sendmail/mailserver type configuration!

Jaybot "Always know what you say, but don't always say what you know!"

Jaybot,

thanks for your input. I'll have a look at fetchmail and smtpd to see what they do.

thanks again

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back