Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What part is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

batman62788

Programmer
Jun 5, 2004
US
I had a post earlier about crashes...people said it was because of the worm i had on my pc. i reformatted, checked the registry...the worm is gone. guess what...the pc still crashed. so something is wrong with the pc part. i had removed a ram stick once and it stopped crashing for 6 months(it turns screen to black then turns it back on but its frozen) then it started again. i bought new ram and put it in and took out othr. it doesnt work..still crashes. so i reformated...still did. so i looked inside..and by the ramslots i discovered 2 cylinder pieces...they stand upright. They are on opposite sides of the ram slots. One has a slight redish/brown stain on the top and appears to have something(looked a little like mold or dust) at the base. And the other piece looked deformed on top and had a lot of reddish/brown stain on top and it looked like it could eb scraped off. so i suspect acid leaked or something and dried from there. So the piece may not be up to speed and causes crashes or something(like a battery low on life). Anybody know what this part is called? can it be replaced? it is mounted to the mother board and doesnt looked like it was made to come off. (it stands up-right but doesnt have any button or anything to release it.)
so what is this called? can it be replaced or do i need a new pc

From your description, they sound like capacitors. They are electronic components that hold an electrical charge, discharging it over time for a short while.

If they can't be removed via clips or other items, then its a new motherboard for you I'm afraid.

John

i dont know whether to send it away or get a new pc...

Any TV repair shop should be able to replace them. Whether that is the cause of the crashes, however, is open to debate. Usually the loss of 2 won't be a major problem. but it depends on the PS regulation and how well the others are holding up. You might want to replace all, since the 2 going bad might indicate others are subject to failure also.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

What board and how old is it? Can you still get one to match your CPU? If these capacitors regulate the voltage to the memory, the board is toast. It's probably cheaper to get a new board with matching CPU.

As far as what the cause is:

Getting the capacitors replaced may or may not fix the problem. Many users have reported that their motherboard ills disappeared after the capacitors had been replaced, but there is certainly no guarantee.

Also, we are assuming the problem parts in questiobn are capacitors.

It would be easier for us to guide you if you would answer micker377's question as to the manufacturer and model of your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back