Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What networking cable to get 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefaan100

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
US
Was just looking to buy 50 Feet of cable to connect my computer to my router and got somewhat confused as to what cable I should get?

Should I get cat 5 or cat 5E or cat 6 cables? What is the difference between them?

And what is the difference between a straight through cable or a crossover cable?

Thanks

Most cables in use now are CAT5E, CAT5E will work on CAT5 fine, CAT6 is new and not required for most installations.

To connect your PC to a Router you would use a straight-thru CAT5E cable.

A Crossover cable is normally used to connect 2 networking devices together, but most new devices do the crossover internally.

I know people are going to say the thats not 100% true, but this isn't a networking course just a quick reply to a question.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Cat5 or Cat5e will suffice for the connecting your router to your PC. The main difference between 5 and 5e is the maximum transmission speed of Cat5 is 100 Mbps, while Cat5e is 1 Gbps. Cat6 is used for Gigabit Ethernet, but unless your router is capable of transmitting that fast, you won't need Cat6.

Straight-thru cables are used for the majority of your network cabling needs. Instances where you would use a crossover cable include connecting 2 PCs together through their network cards (Direct Cable Connection or DCC) or connecting routers to hubs.

Hope this helps you out.

Jpger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back