Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what needs to be done after installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello,
Iam a java and oracle developer and know nothing about DBA stuff. Ijust installed oracle 8i server and client on my computer. I am the only one who would be using it. I entered the name 'dev' for db_name and sid while running dbassistant to create a database. I see a lot of services in my win 2000 services list ...Something like oracleserviceDEV, Oraclelistener and all that...I don't know what they mean.
I just want to run the basic database service so that I can create some tables(To start with) and thatz all. I tried logging into SQLPlus and tried the system /manager and used dev as the host string(is the db_name same as the host string?)... It said tnsname cud not be resolved.... I figured that I need to run net8 to set up a few things...I have no idea as to what to select...(named pipes, servicename, tcp/ip,,,etc and all the options...)...
Could you please tell me how to get my database running? what services do I need to start and what do I configure and how do I configure to get my dabase up and running that so that I can log into the system using sqlplus?
Please help.

thanks in advance
prowzen

You should be posting this message in the Oracle8i discussion forum not the Oracle Certification and Testing forum. (If you want replies that is!)

You need to check your tnsnames.ora file and check that the service_name = dev.

Check your sqlnet.ora file it should have the following in it:
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

4. Check that your sid_name in your listener.ora file is set to dev

If you make any changes to your tnsnames.ora file you need to stop and start your database listener - you do this by:
lsnrctl stop

lsnrctl start

Or by stopping and starting the services in windows 2000 (I'm using Linux)
Read below before stopping or starting your listener.

You may also want to try stopping and starting your database as well, just remember that the listener cannot run without the database so the order for stopping and starting the services is:

stop listener
stop database
start database
start listener

If you are still having trouble do post your errors and problems into the actual Oracle forum, plenty of people will be willing to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back