Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDFREEK

Technical User
Apr 16, 2002
GB
Iam now currently in the process of building a new PC and want any advice on what motherboard to get. I have thought about the Abit KG7 or the Abit KR7A both of these are great chipsets. But the MSI K7T266 is ok. Both of these are AMD and the processor I have, is the AMD athlon XP-1800 and i want a motherboard to support this any suggestions would be extreamly helpful.

If you seriously want the latest, best performing system then you must go for one of the new boards with the Via KT333 chipset that will utilise the latest 333DDR memory.
Boards like the MSI KT3, Asus A7V-333, Gigabyte's GA-7VRXP or Abit's KX7-333.
My personnal favourate is Abits VERY RADICAL AT7 MAX SERIES
With onboard 6 channel audio with digital output
USB1 ports
USB2 ports
Firewire
Network/Lan
Note* no support for legacey connections such as PS2 and com ports so you will have to go USB or Firewire throughout! thats why it's radical!!!!
One last note**** the next version of this chipset the
KT333a, will have support for 8X AGP graphics cards!!
(yes I know their isn't such a thing YET!!) Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Just a linux freak steppin in.... 8x graphics cards are out, or will be in a week or two....ati's latest, the 9700, the only reason I am switching from Nvidia. Just a note, EPoX has a great mobo out as well, a KT333 based one. Check out the reviews.

dyc0n@mchsi.com

until proven, i am not convinced on ATI driver yet

Abit IT7 Max2 has all USB and Firewire. Comes with 2 Serial Hard Drive Ports, 2 IDE Ports, 2 Raid Ports. Realtec 10/100 NIC port and onboard Sound. No paralell port. No Serial Ports. No PS2 mouse or keyboard ports.

This motherboard takes a radical design initiative. It is ideal for anyone who wants all USB equipment.

It is for P4. Hey P4 costs a little more but at least it wont overheat like AMD!

P4 Prices will drop in September. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

i agree with you there, p4 produce less heat, and much more compatible with software
heck i even went as far as intel chipset mb

some might not agree with me, but i invested a lot of money in search at where i work
we have all kinds of systems from AMD to Via chipset, all Pentium you named it

i have just put a new machine together, i did alot of research on everything. here is what i came up with for me.

Gigabyte GA-7VRX
AMD 1800 XP (yes i am an AMD fan)
Volcano 6cu CPU fan
256Mb DDR333
ATI 8500 Radeon (gona change this/driver problems)
40Gb Maxtor HD
Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM
Pine 32x CD-RW
Antec Case w/ 350w ps and 2 case fans

maybe more than what ya wanted but thats what i did. to anybody out there spend the extra money on that case, that Antec case is sweet.

ok will wait for you on your update video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back