Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What means ($_ =~ m/\ <.*\ >/g) ? (perl)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ave_Y

Programmer
Jan 26, 2023
DE
I’m an English major and for some reason my professor makes us learn about perl.
It’s just really hard to grasp for me and help would be greatly appreciated.

I already know that this m/ < means that “does this line contain “<“ same goes with “>” but what is meant by “.*”??

use strict;
use warnings;

my $k = "";

print "running ...\n";

open (IN,"auste-north-1522.txt");
open (OUT,">outfile4.txt");

while (<IN>) {
$_ =~ s/(\<i\>)|(\<\/i\>)//g;
print OUT $_ unless ($_ =~ m/\<.*\>/g);
}

close (IN);
close (OUT);

print "Press the return/enter key to finish.";
$k = <STDIN>

Hi

Ave_Y said:
but what is meant by “.*”?
Those are 2 different metacharacters :
[ul]
[li][tt].[/tt] means any character[/li]
[li][tt]*[/tt] means the previous entity 0 or more times[/li]
[/ul]
You can find them documented in the perlre manual's Metacharacters section.

Some examples :
[tt]'abc' =~ m/<.*>/  [/tt] [gray]# not matches, presence of < and > is mandatory[/gray]
[tt]'a><bc' =~ m/<.*>/[/tt] [gray]# not matches, < and > must occur in that order[/gray]
[tt]'a<>bc' =~ m/<.*>/[/tt] [gray]# matches, .* quantifier allows any number of character between < and >[/gray]
[tt]'a<b>c' =~ m/<.*>/[/tt] [gray]# same[/gray]
[tt]'a<bc>' =~ m/<.*>/[/tt] [gray]# same[/gray]
[tt]'a<<>>' =~ m/<.*>/[/tt] [gray]# matches, . accepts any character, including < and >[/gray]
[tt]'<>' =~ m/<.*>/   [/tt] [gray]# matches, no other character's presence is required[/gray]
[tt]'<>a<>' =~ m/<.*>/[/tt] [gray]# matches, multiple < ... > subsequences may occur[/gray]

Additional notes :
[ul]
[li]There is no reason to escape the < and > characters[/li]
[li]In this situation there is no point in using the [tt]g[/tt] modifier ( documented in the perlre manual's Modifiers section, Other Modifiers subsection )[/li]
[/ul]

Feherke.
feherke.github.io

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back