Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What loads in the status bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonechicken

Programmer
Sep 25, 2001
US
I'm trying to figure out what all gets loaded when a page is called up, but the status bar flashes the items by way too fast.
Example:

If my eyes can keep up, I see that it starts out around "(18 items remaining)" but then jumps up to about "(68 items remaining)."

Doing a simple File - Save As - Web Page complete, I only count 25 items: 2 css files, 1 js file, and 22 images. Factor in the possibility that the browser is counting certain images that appear on the page multiple times, I can only get to about 37 by my count. So...

Where does the status bar get a number in the upper 60s? And how would I get that list?

I don't see it. That page on my system loads in 3 seconds

I saw the load of something like 60-70 some images, what I saw was mostly spacer.gif, and from reading your question that is also what I had thought before going to the link.

MrGreed

"did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said.

I don't have ns7 on this computer, but you can get the page stats, list of links and stuff like that maybe that would shed some light.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-Douglas Adams (1959-2001)

That's weird with the spacer.gif thing. I've actually tested deleting that file and didn't see a single IE missing image marker on the page. Plus, it wasn't one of the files that gets saved when I tried the "File - Save As - Web Page complete" thing.

I'll take a look at it in Netscape 7.

Thanks.

I viewed the page using Firefox 0.8 (Mozilla) and went "Tools > Page Info". I then counted the number of entries in the "Media" tab... 108 was the number... no more... no less.

It reports all images. Even if the image is reused multiple times on the page. So obviously I have many spacer.gif counts *grin*

Jeff

Found the place in the javascript for the menu system that calls on spacer.gif! Used Firefox and saw that list of media files. Hopefully, this doesn't make it look too weird in Opera or Safari, but those two make up less than 1% of our visitors.

Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back