Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What kind of Anti-virus should I get for 2003 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubo

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2005
US
I was hoping that some of you will be able to recommend me or steer me away from some anti-virus software to install on my Windows 2003 server.

I don't want the software to scan every file that comes in and out of the server, which just chews up my bandwidth. But I would like to have the protection for an outside files.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

it really depends

MS is using CA
IBM is using Symantec
some other big giant are using Mcafee

for small and medium business, i will recommend AVG, Panda , they might be cheaper and have all the funcations you need.

I run Trend Micro's "Client/Server Suite for SMB". It runs off of a Windows 2003 box as an IIS or Apache service. All your servers and clients can install "Office Scan". All systems that have Office Scan installed check with the IIS or Apache service for updates and cleaning viruses. It keeps records of everything..., It will even send you an email if a user gets a virus. I'm been using there products for years. It's worth a free trial download.

I would recommend Symantec Corp. The reason I don't like Trend Micro is that if you ever end up using it on an Exchange Server it makes some modifications to core Exchange files due to the way it scans Exchange mailboxes. I have been in situations where MS has refused support on an Exchange server until that product was uninstalled. I would also steer clear of Panda. I have had many problematic situations with upgrades and uninstalls of that product and their support leaves a lot to be desired.

In my experience Symantec Corp/Enterprise runs extremely solid and is easy to manage, upgrade etc. Syamntec support has traditionaly done a nice job. And when you install to the client workstations, it runs very silently which is nice.

Just my thoughts.

SMBgeek

SMBgeek

try sophos it does ok with us and new em is good contoller of network functions !!!

"Ask not what your computer network can do for you - ask what you can do to the computer network to give you a quiet moment ."

Symantec and Sophos are both very good, Syantec's management tools are better for managing multiple boxes. MS also use Norman for scanning all their patch releases it's supposed to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back