Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What it's a Rollover Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaosk

Programmer
Apr 11, 2001
CL
It's a twisted cable? whit the extremes inversed?

Identifying a Rollover Cable

You can identify a rollover cable by comparing the modular plugs at the two ends of the cable. When you hold the plugs side by side, with the tab at the back, the wire connected to the pin on the outside of the left plug should be the same color as the wire connected to the pin on the outside of the right plug.
example:

RJ45--------RJ45
PIN 1 PIN 8
2 7
3 6
4 5
5 4
6 3
7 2
8 1

hope it helps.
cbum

Uh... say what???

I don't think so.

A "rollover" cable is not simply an end to end mirror of the wiring order. This is because TX and RX are not in the middle of the RJ45 biscuit, and both pairs need to be surrounded by inductive grounding.

A "straight thru" cable (meaning non-rollover) should look the same on both ends.  Following the CAT-V standard, the order should be:
White Orange, Orange, White Green, Blue, White Blue, Green, White Brown, Brown.

On a rollover cable, one end should be normal (as above), and the other end should be:
White Green, Green, White Orange, Blue, White Blue, Orange, White Brown, Brown.

This translates to the following pin order for a rollover cable:
1 -> 3
2 -> 6
3 -> 1
4 -> 4
5 -> 5
6 -> 2
7 -> 7
8 -> 8

I've never particularly cared for the choices of color in the standard, but I do care about following standards... especially on those occasions when I've had to figure out someone else's mess.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
oldschool

In the Cisco world,, there are TWO types of "rollover" cables.. one is a true rollover.. which is as cbum says, one end is flipped. The other to be precise is a "Cross-over" cable which flips the pairs in a normal CAT3-5 cable to reverse the transmit and receive side much like you would do on a RS232 cable.

Given the post is in a Cisco Forum and "rollover" was specified, I think Cbum has the "more" correct answer based on the skimpy facts at hand.

Just my 2.5 cents

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

<chagrinned grin>

You're right, of course. I'd been dealing with CAT-5 cabling issues all day. The brain must have registered I was conversing in a Cisco area, but the mind had not caught up. :p

Regards,
oldschool

Dont feel alone ;-) what makes you think you have the lock on the brain fade moments... it's that wonderful feeling you get just your brain registers the &quot;click&quot; of the enter key when you suddenly wake up and know you really didnt want to do that :)

Mike S
&quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back