Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What IT certs/skills are in demand for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeherman

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2008
CA
Hi, I am looking into increasing my tech skills and will be getting some learning some certifications soon.
I am currently on EI, if EI pays for it then why not.
My question is, what skills, experience and certifications are in demand right now.
One thing I do know is that certain certifications are only good in certain demographic regions, for instance the CCA or VCP are usually only good in big cities. I am thinking about getting the MCSE with exchange server, MCTS and RHCT. I don't know for sure what cert's to get until I ask some professionals in the field. I understand that experience in the IT field is better to have, but i need to start somewhere with new skills. I heard that cloud computing is increasing in popularity and a cert in that is good to have. I also heard that holding an ITIL v3 cert or iso/iec are good certs to have. Can someone give some insight into good career changer certs?

My education is.. CIS diploma, 12 years ago. MCSA, A+, Network+ - acquired 7 years ago. Ive worked in the IT field for about 8 years.

Im thinking of learning MCSE,MCTS,RHCT,VCP,ITIL v3,Cloud Computing.

Where I am, demand would be VMWARE, Citrix, Cisco, Microsoft, in that order.

ITIL is good too.

Agree with Vince in terms of order of importance...

1. Forget MCSE, it is a dead cert. Focus on MCITP with Microsoft.
2. VMWare VCP is in very high demand. Online / In-Person course attendance is required and runs around $3500 (not counting the exam itself)
3. Citrix certifications are good, but also require course attendance and moderate $$.
4. Book'ending any microsoft / citrix / vmware cert with a good understanding and a CCNA is a plus.

IMHO, and I say this because I have interviewed at least 400 - 500 individuals with all varying degrees of certifications, that certifications should take a back seat to strong and repeated understanding of practical applications of these technologies. I work on a consultancy basis, so I have the luxury of touching hundreds of different networks. You may already do this, but getting a lab together and running through many different deployments / applications of these technologies is the strongest way (if you don't already consult and have the opportunity to real world implement) to develop the type of skillset that can be validated on the job (and not just on paper with letters after your name)

Just my two cents :)

Chris Clancy, EnCE CCE

MCITP: Enterprise Messaging
MCITP: Server Administrator

" ... when you can't figure out what the problem is, find out what it isn't.... "

There are many paths to get the MCITP. Im thinking of focusing on Administration,SQL, and Sharepoint. Is it true that Sharepoint is becoming more in demand?

VCP is definitely on my list. Ive already instaled Workstation 7 with various OS's, mainly linux based. Also installed ESX 4.1 server and logged in through via web and the client. The more I experiment with the vmware stuff the more i understand it better.

Im also wondering about LPIC level 1 certification. Linux will always be around. Ive installed and used ubuntu server, suse linux enterprise and opensuse. I enjoy the flexibility the os gives. its more command line driven but i can learn it as i would learn anything else.
Someone told me either do Microsoft cert or Linux cert, but not both..in a real world is this true? I guess its more about where i want to focus my learning brain.

Understanding the Linux kernel enough to obtain a certification is always good, particularly when doing advanced work with ESX (just a Linux OS)

I wouldn't say to get one or the other (MS vs. Linux). The majority of the networks out there have Windows servers to one extent or another. Unless you are in some large enterprise environments...which seems to have a larger proliferation of Linux OS's.

Don't kneecap yourself by getting one cert or the other, being knowledgeable in both is fantastic.

From a consultancy aspect, I personally have seen a bit of growth in those companies using Sharepoint...however I have not seen many large scale deployments of Sharepoint...mostly because there flat out isn't a whole lot of proficient Sharepoint site designers.

Honestly, if you were going Microsoft I would start with server administration and Exchange. SQL is always good. Sharepoint would be a distant 4th (to me personally).

Chris Clancy, EnCE CCE

MCITP: Enterprise Messaging
MCITP: Server Administrator

" ... when you can't figure out what the problem is, find out what it isn't.... "

I didn't mention anything about Citrix certification. I was told that citrix is a "big city" cert. Around where I live citrix is being used but on a lower level. I don't think there are big citrix datacenters around here.
So i need to cater my knowledge/skills towards whats in demand to my demographic region. microsoft,linux,vmware,ccna.
I may be wrong about what said about citrix, companys around here may be implementing more citrix environments but thats speculation. Perhaps the CCA will be good supplementary knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back