Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is x86config/xconfigurator called nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
The problem is I used to run wattos5 on my 800x600 laptop. What I didn't realize is that the screens were not configured because it didn't know what to do with my graphics card. It went into default mode, which, on wattos5 is 800x600. On wattos7, default mode is 1024x768. The result is, I can't see the menu bar. If I try xrandr -s 800x600, I get a very dim screen.

It basically has a whole load of stuff missing in the configuration file. The last time I played with this stuff was in 1997 when it was called x86config. I've been down a lot of paths on the internet and they've been dead ends so far. I can edit the file manually, if I know which file to edit. Problem is, I can't even find the configuration file.

I did a grep for some strings that should exist in the configuration file but that came out empty, probably because either the configuration file is missing or the strings are missing from the configuration file. The questions are

1) What is the X configuration file for screen sizes in Ubuntu 11.x, 12.x or 13.x.
2) Is there a replacement for x86config. I've seen xconfigurator mentioned but the Ubuntu distributions don't seem to know about it.
3) If I set up the screens, will it stop complaining that gamma values are missing?

Never mind, I've found it. It is called xvidtune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back