Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is wrong with OpenOffice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAretired

Programmer
May 25, 2015
CA
I am new to Tek-Tips although I have been a member of Eng-Tips for several years. I downloaded OpenOffice which is free and it appears to be a pretty good and very comprehensive program. I am wondering why there is no recent discussion about OpenOffice. Does that mean it is so straightforward that nobody has any questions about it or does that mean than nobody is using it in favor of Microsoft Excel?

Probably neither, there are just other places for OpenOffice or LibreOffice discussions. Someday the Microsoft indoctrinated IT world will realise that Linux is no longer the geeky, slightly cooky preserve of nerds knowing a bunch of arcane command lines by heart.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thanks CooperDBM, I wasn't aware of that site. I will bookmark it and check it out. Again, thank you.

BA

@Cooper, what level of programming do you use in Calc?

Do you have access to the Calc Object Model properties and methods as in Excel VBA?

Can you capture events on the sheet or control objects on the sheet such as plots?

I'd like to know if I'd be giving up capability or flexibility or will I be gaining and if so what examples.

Appreciate your comments.

Can you capture events on the sheet or control objects on the sheet such as plots? ... ...

Yes, yes and nothing.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Skip, I haven't tried programming in OpenOffice. Looks like Chris has you covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back