Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is with .lnk extension, VIRUS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinseaking

Technical User
Dec 1, 2002
US
Getting a number of software errors stating that a file is needed to load a program. What is a .lnk extension have to do with it. It seemed to have changed some of the EXE extensions.
I know this have to be a virus, but can't figure out which one, there are so many.
Any help with Identification would be appreciated.

Dave

Hi,

Files with .LNK extensions are not viruses - they are shortcuts to local files or folders.
A file with a .URL extension is an internet shortcut to a web or FTP site.

John

Rather than worry at the moment what the virus is, try two or three on-line virus scanners to identify and remove the beast. Member smah has a very good listing here: faq760-3862

Perhaps you could give us an example of the exact error message you are having.

If I suspected a virus I would expect my virus scanner to give me some information. You can try these free online virus scanners for a second opinion.

Symantec (Norton Anti-virus) Security Check - Free on-line scan

Click the 'Run Virus Check' or 'Run Security Check' button.
or -

Click 'Find out today if you are safe'. Then click 'Scan for Viruses'.

Trend Micro (PC-cillin) - Free on-line Scan - very good at detecting 'joke' viruses. A small Download Required.

Panda's Active Scan.

311446 - You Cannot Start Programs (.exe Files) When Your Computer Is Infected with the SirCam Virus

811010 - How to Identify, Recover from, and Prevent Infections from the W32.Klez Worm Virus

Ok, I understand. Let me explain something about this computer and owner lol.
She took it to a University and had the SysAdmin put it on the network. This was only to get an upgrade of some files. Now that she took the computer OFF the network she has the following problems:
1. All programs have a .lnk extension
example: hpodt01.exe.lnk
2. Ethernet 10/100 NIC working properly, can't access internet via supplied Cat5 cable.
Note: Adelphia Cable is a plug and play type ISP.
Options set to Autodetect should work.

Maybe this information will help in determining the actual problem. And if it is/was the Network. How does she get it back to the way it was without losing data? She does have a recovery disc, but would like not to use it due to data lose.
Sorry for being dense with this problem.

Dave

When you say all programs, obviously here system files are not given extensions or otherwise the machine could not start at all.

So is it anything in the c:\Program Files directory, or just some Folders, or what is it?

As a test, Start, Run, CMD

For one program, for its folders, try from a command session:

ren *.*.lnk *.*

You will have to work through the subfolders for this particular program entry.

Does the program now work?

Did you try using System Restore go get back to before any trouble occurred?

bcaster...will try that...thanks. Next will be a total recovery I'm afraid. She's rather impatient when it comes to her "Baby".
Thanks for all the help fellas

Dave

I do not think a repair re-install of XP will address this issue.

You really need to talk to the University IT folks. It may well be that the software that was installed as part of a Domain user was removed deliberately for licensing reasons.

Yeah, she did say that they loaded something on there but she doesn't know what it was. Even after they loaded the software, whatever it was, she was still unable to get the updated files that she went in there for.

I ask her, the last time I talked to her, to get with the University IT folks that did all the work to it. So basically, I said the same thing as you.
Hopefully, they will be able to straighten her system out.

Thanks for all the information IT brothers

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back