Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is to Big ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jameskn

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2002
GB

Hi all,

I am little bit of newbie to Paradox have only written a few scripts. I am worried though I have very large implementation of Paradox Database under my control. It is in fact a recruitment database it contains alot of records around 80,000 different objects (clients,contacts,applicants) but our notes file has around 800,000 notes in it. Now I have read that paradox tables should not be any bigger than 250meg on another forum ? We have tables at the moment which are getting close to this ? Is there any limitations on size of tables ? I cannot change the structure of the tables and they are not exactly normalized the product was written by a third party so i cannot change them either without effecting our recruitment application. But I can delete data from the database if we are going to face a major problem in the future. Is there anyone out there with a large implementation that could confirm for me that when we go over 250meg I am not going to crash completely. ;-)

Is there any other problems I should be aware of possible with increased size.

Cheers for any help,

One stressed IT Manager,

James

James,

It depends on the the version of BDE that you're using and the block sizes of your tables. The default limit of Paradox tables is 256MB, however, you can increase this by increasing the block size from the default of 4KB to 32KB.

See for details.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back