Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is this technique called, please? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveHigh

Technical User
Jan 17, 2007
GB
Hello

I am trying to learn some Photoshop techniques.

Sometimes we see black and white photos with only part of it in colour. It might be a black and white photo with two people in it with one of them holding, say, a pink rose.

What is this technique called, please?

I would also be grateful for any links or tutorials about how I can learn to do it myself.

Thanks in anticipation.

well it's usually a two step operation, first the mask step where you can mask out the color area you wish to keep then using the inverse of the mask area you can remove the color from the remainder of the pic.

The masking part is either easy or can be a bit more tedious depending on the area you with to segregate, and there are many ways to do this.

Removing the color is easier but again there are multiple way to to this too.

If you can post your picture it will be easier to make a suggestion.

If you can't post your pic describe it and I'll give you my best guess suggestions.

All that said, it's usually a fairly simple operation.

Hello mscallisto

Thank you for both of your posts! Yes, the link which you kindly sent me shows the effect I mean exactly (I had in mind colouring in a clown's nose in a B&W photo). It seems easier to colour in part of a B&W photo rather than mess about with a colour photo, but what do I know.

I'll read up on masks in Photoshop's Help file (I have Photoshop 7 ME) and see what sense I can make of it.

Cheers

Steve

Since there are so many ways to do what you want, you may want to supplement the photoshop help with a google search on "photoshop masks".

Take a look at examples of what other people do and choose a method that fits your needs.

Masking a clown nose should be very simple, masking hair blowing in the breeze can be challanging but it too can be done extremely well.

much luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back