Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is this database with a *.dat extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonSwingler

Programmer
Dec 31, 2002
US
Hopefully someone can help me!

I am in the process of transferring data from an old DOS software to a new software for a client of ours. However, I am having trouble determining what database it is using. One of the biggest problems I have is the company that designed the software is now out of business (for some time now).

This is what I know:

The Software was written in C or Turbo C and was compiled using Aztec C86 V3.20x. The sofware was written and sold between 1986 - 1992. The databases have an extension of dat. The databases are in partial text and a binary type format.

This might be a simple question for some of you database experts, but does anyone know what database this might be that could have been used during this time period?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

I reckon the word database has been wrongly applied and really the phrase 'Isam files' might be more accurate.
They'll be flat files containing raw data in alpha or binary
fields depending on the set up of the original suite.
You really need some documentation regards file layouts etc,
or to look at the source of any C/Turbo C programs to see how the files were constructed.
Hope that helps. Dickie Bird (:)-)))

it was probably just a program writing to a txt file. i did that for my A levels. look at the source of pay someone to solve it for you if youre lost <<< Why is everyone trying to get a quick fix???? If you bothered to LEARN the theory it would have worked the first time around!!!! Go to uni! >>>

Hello Ron,

.dat file extension belong to many programms. Reading your query I concluded that it is customized .dat file and the data is being written in it's own format. I suggest following things -

1. If you have ODBC driver for the same then migration is possible.
2. Any inbuild tool to convert data to text file.
3. Find out if it support SQL.
4. If you have source code then you can go through it and conclude the format.
5. If you don't have the source code then decompile the code.
6. search could help you with lots of options.

Hope this will help you.

Manu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back