Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is this called - probably a silly question. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkerr

Technical User
Mar 2, 2005
US
I have a question - I am learning about networking and IT the hard way - trial and error and OTJ experience. This is a silly, rookie, newbie question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

We have a large server rack in our office, containing multiple servers. In the center is a laptop-like computer that is mounted to the rack. It is malfunctioning. I need to describe this computer to our networking-repair company without sounding like a moron. Is it simply a rack-mounted laptop? Or does it have some other name? HELP!

LK

Do you have to press print screen 2 times to change to another server? If so, then this is a KVM issue you may be having.

I do have to press print screen to switch between servers - so the machine is called a KVM? Thanks!

Well, that makes sense. Is it just a laptop on a rack or some sort of specialty machine?

no, it is not a laptop... a KVM is a special switch in order to share one Keyboard, one Mouse and one Video (hence KVM) with all your servers. The keyboard, mouse and screen should be connected to a box that is the KVM switch.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.

Oh - so the actual machine (the keyboard, mouse and screen) could be a regular laptop? But the problem is likely KVM-related?

I'm sorry for all the dumb questions - I am a total newbie at networking and server issues.

I guess so, I can't see your hardware from here..

Chacal, Inc.

Sorry - I didn't mean that whole post quite the way it came across. But basically, I'm just trying to clarify everything in my mind. I think I've got it sorted out, and the network repair guy just called and I managed to sound at least a little like I know what I'm talking about, so thank you both very much!

What you have there is a TFT Console. KVM consist of specials switches that trasmit through special cables the signal of keyboard, video and mouse to the console (a simple monitor or a TFT one).

Hope helps you.

Best regards,
Fer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back